Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting my motor together. The heads have been reworked. The cams are still the same (SHM Stage 1s). I have installed brand new tensioners for the chain guides. We also have made custom keys for the keyways for the cams just so the cams can never jump time. This is a 96-98 Style 4v Motor.

Here is the problem.... Everytime we put the cams in time we turn the car over by hand it jumps time still. This is the 3rd time we have done this and it is really starting to piss me off. Only other thing I can think to do is to replace the timing chain. Both of the timing chains on each head do the samething and jump the same amount of links. I need help ASAP!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot some info. I have a 03 Cobra block. I have different guides, the iron blocks use dow pins to hold one guide from each side down so those had to be replaced.. So this info should help also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you using the cam alignment tools that slide into the keyway on the rear of the cams?

That and the Cam locking tool are necessary to keep the cams locked into position while the chains are being installed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We used a clamp to hold the two timing chain guides together so tension was created.. Then we clicked the tensioners out 5 notchs, left the clamps in but made sure they were not in the way. Then we primed the motor. Keep in mind we did this with the motor in the car. The valve covers were off and the front cover was off too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got done putting a set of FR500 heads and cams in a 99 4V engine, If you look at the timing marks on the cams and the crank, they do not change even when the links change. My conclusion was that there must be a uneven number of links or the length of the chain effects it. I just went out in the garage and checked it again and it's on the money. Don't worry about the links, watch the cam sprocket marks. Also no where in the shop manual does it tell you to crank the motor over and recheck the links. The links look to be for the inital install only, once you crank it over they no longer apply. The chain must rotate around the sprockets rather use the same teeth every time. Hope this helps!!! Marv Z

1 - 7 of 7 Posts