Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having an upgraded motor put in my 97 GT(2000 PI) motor. The motor is a remanufactured 4.6 liter 2 valve. I’m considering going with a set of Comp Cams Stage 2 P/N 102600 Extreme Energy cams. Talking with a few different people from different parts sites, aside from upgrading the springs and retainers, the need for changing anything with regards to pistons, crank, or other internals, is unnecessary. However, according to the Ford site that I buy the bulk of my parts from, there is a statement that says, upgraded pistons, or, fly cutting the pistons is a Must. This is the first time I’ve taken on a project of this sort and I thought would be a good place to get some solid advice. The engine builder is Not new to building performance motors, but I’m trying to do my homework upfront. I guess the other side of the coin is, I don’t see Anything on Comp Cams site referring to the modification to pistons. Thanks in advance for any and All advice in this manner. Dan, the Oilman.

·
Registered
1988 Mustang Gt, 1984 Mustang Convertible, 1993 Mustang LX
6 Posts
I’m not aware of any cams requiring the pistons to be changed unless you’re trying to change how far the valves travel into the cylinder….or if you haves the heads decked and machined quiet a bit

1 - 2 of 2 Posts