Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's early and TF isn testing cams but what have the guys who havew put thought into cams already have for numbers? TF told me the heads really don't like more lift than .550" but that duration they do like. I mentioned the stage 2 PI TF cams with .580"/.580" & 234*/234* on a 114*LSA and a 110* centerline form the intake and was told the PI cams are not best for their heads. I guess that means a lot of cams will be on the market in a couple of months if true? I am afraid that even with 4.10'sand a 3800rpm stall I may bog on a hard launch with 234* intake duration!

Well, anyone thiought about it, especially those who have more cam knowledge? THX!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hey Mark...... one thing you got to remember is ....are you getting the 38CC, 44CC, or either or in the R head.......the port or chamber size can also alter the flow rate or cam design needed to maximize your set-up......thats why it is way to early to know until real world results are tested......I think it will be a while before we get alot of results from people trying different combos........thats why it will be important for people to post up their combos and numbers.......the first people to get the heads will have to pave the way for everyone else........also......with the added flow....I wonder if a larger intake, TB, or plenum combo could enhance power.......we shall see.......the good thing about our cars is the OBDII computers........you can tune the timing and fuels at all rpm levels and make all these different cams work...and get the most out of them....but the future will only tell us which cam will make the most power.......right now....I will try to maximize what I got by just switching the heads.....this way you can see just how much the heads are worth over the Patriot stage II heads........as far as cam selection goes........you can tune anything just about......but which one will shine the best is TBD...........

"ED"

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mark...... one thing you got to remember is ....are you getting the 38CC, 44CC, or either or in the R head.......the port or chamber size can also alter the flow rate or cam design needed to maximize your set-up......thats why it is way to early to know until real world results are tested......I think it will be a while before we get alot of results from people trying different combos........thats why it will be important for people to post up their combos and numbers.......the first people to get the heads will have to pave the way for everyone else........also......with the added flow....I wonder if a larger intake, TB, or plenum combo could enhance power.......we shall see.......the good thing about our cars is the OBDII computers........you can tune the timing and fuels at all rpm levels and make all these different cams work...and get the most out of them....but the future will only tell us which cam will make the most power.......right now....I will try to maximize what I got by just switching the heads.....this way you can see just how much the heads are

worth over the Patriot stage II heads........as far as cam selection goes........you can tune anything just about......but which one will shine the best is TBD...........

"ED"
Understood ED. I am just slow in choosing and have to do a lot of research. I aM GETTING THE STREET-N-STRIP HEADS, 44CC AND THE FIRST TO COME OUT. I like the specs of what TF calls a PI cam, the stage 2 sold in Summit. 1500-6500+rpm range. I know it is not going to pull at 1500 nor 2500but a 3500rpm to 6500rpm+ would be great. This is a daily driver and I have to keep mileage in the mix as odd as that is. I am willing to go 4.30's for a year or two and then would possibly want to go to the stock 3.27's. I'll be 56 soon and might head to warmer weather if all works out. As I stated a cam with more than 234* intake duration and even the 4.10's and a 3800rpm converter may bog. In fact Comp said I did not have enough stall for their 278 cam which is what they suggested for those heads! Another member here said I am getting 8500rpm heads for a 6500rpm target!! Well 7000 is OK with me as I hit that with the stock springs and the SHM #2730 cams.
So just sending out "feelers" so to speak and see whay guys think. You have the 108*LSA but from what I have learned it is the intake duration that dictates the power, when it comes on and for how long. 225* is not a lot of duration but that 108* LSA with the 235* exhaust makes for 14* of overlap at .050"and that will let that motor rev! Did you find peakpower with them? I believe Jim Cushman told me 6500rpm would not be a problem and add the "R" flow and likely add 500rpm to the peak.
Anyways, that is it. Wide torque band is what I am looking for, not peak power. With the SVO intake I am good to 6500rpm until the power starts to fall off. How the guy got 8500rpm from the stock intake is a mystery unless he had a BLOWER! NA, no-way!
THX ED, always appreciate your LAIDBACK, CALM DEMEANOR! Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts