Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best after market camshafts to get for the 4v cobra motor?
I do not want regrinds!!!!!
I have been hearing bad things about the ModMax stuff and i dont think Comp Cams is making DOHC cams yet.
I also need bronze valve guides and valve seals if anyone can point me in the right direction.
ModMax wants 6 dollars each for guides and 4 dollars each for seals which comes to a total of 320 dollars and then i would have machine costs on top of that.
Thats just a little bit out of line IMO.
I will also need new valve springs fo rthe higher lift cams,which springs are the best? I have heard ModMax springs break so they are not even being considered.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first of all i am leary of the degree accuracy of any lobe that is pressed onto a shaft,secondly i dont want to deal with having to shim everything to get proper clearances due to the fact that they grind material off of regrinds to acheive the new cam dimensions.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I'm using Comp cams billets. There are quite a few companies making billets now, Modmax, Comp, SHM, HP, etc.
Though they are expensive, at least they're customized for the exact application.

·
Registered
188 Posts
sn8kbite said:

I also need bronze valve guides and valve seals if anyone can point me in the right direction.
ModMax wants 6 dollars each for guides and 4 dollars each for seals which comes to a total of 320 dollars and then i would have machine costs on top of that.
Guides (bronze) are 5.25 and seal are 2.50 for a total of 248. Try pricing for dealer replacement guides (cast).
You have 32 valves = double the cost.

sn8kbite [/i]

I will also need new valve springs fo rthe higher lift cams,which springs are the best?
[/QUOTE]

Your best bet is the FRPP 4v cam kit. Includes everything except roller rocker arms and lash adjuster.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You do not need bronze valve guides. They're totally over rated. Actually, at JMS we had more bronze guides go south than good old iron ones. We ended up sticking with iron in all our race motors for durability reasons. There is also nothing wrong with a regrind. As far as pressing the lobes on, being that the regrinds have likely already been in a running motor, if they were going to move, they would have already moved by now. Also, grinding the base circle down, slows down the speed of the roller on the followers. Also, there are alot of cams out ther that dont require new springs. Especially road race cams. Crane calls their RR cams "NHRA stock" or something like that. They have 3 different grinds, each with stock lift and 3 progressions of duration. You wont have a chance in hell of passing smog with those though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We dont have emission testing here,I am interested in maximum power and torque numbers,a lumpy idle doesnt bother me however i would like it to remain somewhat streetable.The car is not a dailey driver,it sees the track on weekends as well as some after dark street battles.
I have the 2003 supercharged cobra.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks for the information.i notice they dont have any pricing info does anyone know how much they are?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts