Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking to a friend of mine and he is stuck on drag racing. I have never been a big fan and usually stick more to road racing but lately i have been thinking more and more about straight line speed. After looking into the Texas Mile i got to thinking, what would it take to get your car race worthy and what would it take to make the 200 MPH Club. People say it comes down to power and traction but has it ever been done in a Mustang GT before? I know a lot of GT500s and some purpose built race cars have done it but i am talking about a 4.6L 3v street car making it. Can it even be done? And what mods besides tires and brakes would be needed to break 200 MPH be needed?

· Registered
1,280 Posts
200 mph in a street mustang, besides the high hp and the air flow mods needed to keep it on the ground, your gear ratios would have to be quite radical to reach that speed

· Registered
367 Posts
200 mph in a street mustang, besides the high hp and the air flow mods needed to keep it on the ground, your gear ratios would have to be quite radical to reach that speed
+1 on the aero, from both a drag and a stability standpoint. Mine starts lifting at about 150 mph ... it gets really light. I think a front facia with minimal inlets below the bumper, and a functional heat extractor type hood would be a good start on the aero end. .... and yeah .... lots of horsepower.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
i have upr rear deflector, agent 47 front aero, cdc chin spoiler, and under engine air deflector and at about 130 mph i have minimal steering control, gets real hairy trying to keep it straight

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
hmm, i have a cdc classic chin, cervinis '67 GT500 hood, and steeda street wing and i am fine till 160. The wing and chin spoiler do keep me a bit more stable. I can feel a major difference when i take off the chin spoiler at higher speeds. The front end almost feels like its on a pocket of air and steering is almost gone but with the chin on it feels more planted.

· Registered
829 Posts
i have upr rear deflector, agent 47 front aero, cdc chin spoiler, and under engine air deflector and at about 130 mph i have minimal steering control, gets real hairy trying to keep it straight
Sounds like something wrong there ^^

I had my '06 over 130 a few times when it was bone stock and it was fine.

"sqidd" on allfordmustangs has a good thread on aero mods. He ran a splitter, a heat extractor hood, and a belly pan and he said those mods made a huge difference on his car. He's making around 650 to the tire and shooting for 200 in the mile.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might need to look him up. I know a couple of shops around here that deal in large pieces of carbon fiber so i might look into a belly pan. I know one shop does it for the porsche and corvette clubs for their race cars.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
my problem could be the tires i have on the front. they are just sumitomo summer tires, i have no "lift" problems. i actually think the car "lowers" itself the faster i go and of course the places i test speed is not where i should be testing

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am running factory BFGs and not a problem, but believe me, take off the chin spoiler and try the run again and you will feel a difference in the front end, for being so small it does give a bit of down force.

· Registered
367 Posts
The biggest thing is reducing the size of the openings into the engine compartment, and to get some kind of spoiler as low as you can. Also providing an exit for all the air trapped in the engine bay, like a heat extractor or vented cowl type hood. It is the compression of all the air trapped inside the engine bay that actually lifts the front end. Belly pans do alot to reduce this as well. I've noticed that my "Cobra R" Facia has allot more down force than my 3D carbon facia did. I still don't think that facia is anywhere close to being optimal either. Look at the Nascar, or Funny cars, they all have minimal (or no) radiator inlets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.