Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have had one inch wheel spacers on my car for more then four months now and I think they are great. I bought the spacers from maximum motorsports . They are H/R spacers made in Germany and you know everything that is made in Germany is made very well. I had to us them because I had my wheels widened two inches and that stoped them from rubbing. The car looks better then any other 03 cobra I have ever seen especially from the rear the car looks awsome, looks like a steam roller. Good luck The 315s nittos help also

·
Registered
661 Posts
you should try to use the correct wheel, Back space, I also have used spacors but they are illegal, So I dont recomend it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
nitrous pete said:
you should try to use the correct wheel, Back space, I also have used spacors but they are illegal, So I dont recomend it.
Not to sound like an ass, but what other choice do people have? Nobody makes a 17X10.5 with the correct back spacing do they? I was looking at spacers myself, but now I think I'm going to go with a special ordered grade 12.2 12mm x 100mm button head IRS bolts. With these there's no need for spacers because the bolt head is thinner and allows for increased tire clearance.

U.M.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Wheel spacers should only be used when there is no choice...as in when tires don't fit into the wheel well due to rubbing, etc.

Keep in mind that wheels are balanced right down to the 1/4 ounce. Wheel spacers throw off balance and can cause a variety of problems (I know from experience) most typically of which is vibration.

It is nice to have wide wheels but it is not something that I would sacrifice my stock ride quality for. Wider tires only help with hooking marginally and may look more 'muscle car' but can open the door to a boat load of problems.

And, as Pete has said, they are illegal for racing. That is because you are pushing the entire tire out and this weakens the studs due to increased stress points and can cause them to snap under extreme torque (I've seen it at the track and it ain't pretty).

Choose a tire and rim that fits OEM specs. It is far better to have the correct backspace than it is to 'doctor' the fit with spacers. If it fits in the wheel well then it can be made to fit without spacers. Get the correct backspace measurements!

We used to use the spacers on our old, cheap Mustangs when we got a deal on rims and we just didn't care. Using them on a $35,000 Cobra is insane. BIG MISTAKE!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
SVTyballz said:
this was posted in another thread.

http://realbig.com/detomaso/1998-11/53.html

personally im not a fan of spacers, but some people use them with no issues. so I can't say they don't work.

gary
From the site you linked:

Scott Griffith said:
But if you interpose a spacer, then there are now two shear planes.
Doesn't this assume that you are still using the original wheel studs to mount the wheel? I see that some of the spacers listed used the original wheel studs to mount the spacer and the spacer has new integrated studs to mount the wheel. This still creates two shear planes, however, each one is at the base of a stud which is optimal right? The spacers I was thinking about were for the rear and have the integrated studs (as apposed to simply sliding on a plate with holes in it as I think they are describing on the other site). Any thoughts :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think AFS makes or going to make 10.5 rims with the correct offset.I seen some of their rims on E-BAY.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mickey Thompson is making 17 inch E/T street slicks.I beleave theres something about it in carcraft magazine.
A friend called them directly and was told they wont be available for about 2 months yet.But i can wait because i cant drive the car in snow anyway.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Elapidae said:
From the site you linked:

Doesn't this assume that you are still using the original wheel studs to mount the wheel? I see that some of the spacers listed used the original wheel studs to mount the spacer and the spacer has new integrated studs to mount the wheel. This still creates two shear planes, however, each one is at the base of a stud which is optimal right? The spacers I was thinking about were for the rear and have the integrated studs (as apposed to simply sliding on a plate with holes in it as I think they are describing on the other site). Any thoughts :confused:
That is exactly what he was referring to using a single stud with a space. Some of the newer spacers like the H&R spacers Maximum Motorsports sell bolt up to the hub and then you bolt the Rims to the.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Boomer said:
I think AFS makes or going to make 10.5 rims with the correct offset.
Not anymore apparently.

GRNENVY: Any problems on the outer fender lip with a 1" and 315's?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The wheels are still inside the fender. Jim at JDM saw my set up and said it looks awsome. I have never had a problem. I did this because I like the factory wheels, and know one else has this setup or does there car look as mean. Good luck

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
I currently have Nitto 315/35's on the stock rims right now. If anyone wants to see the clearance from the IRS bolt head let me know, I run to the garage and take a few pics!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
03Steve said:
I currently have Nitto 315/35's on the stock rims right now. If anyone wants to see the clearance from the IRS bolt head let me know, I run to the garage and take a few pics!
How is the traction and wear?

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
I've only got to test em once for traction. I am very impressed. No spinning in most of first, all of second, and all of third. I was on good concrete, it was about 40F outside, and the tires were heated.

I haven't driven enough on them to get on idea for wear yet.

·
Registered
661 Posts
et streets 26x11.5x16 Good hook

Jon thanks I tried the tires today, as I was going to Atco for some testing , As they are open, at the last min. they called it off. the temp hereis 42% sunny ? $hit :mad: But I did go down the road, they hooked very nice, They dont look to bad alos on the gt rims, I think the track people got scared of the super bowl , not many cars would show up, ! is what they thought ./, , .,
wrong they are:shocked
oh the weather helped 42% not too bad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts