Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've wanted to cut the stock springs for a long time and drop the car a tad, unfortunately, the roads here are absolute SHIT. The car bottoms out, at the stock height, with the stock springs, over any G-Out type bumps in the road. Obviously, if I drove a little slower I might be able to avoid this problem, but I shouldn't have to!
I really don't want to drop the car a lot, so I'm wondering if I get slightly lower springs with a much greater stiffness, if I'll be able to stop this from happening?

Thanks-

·
Registered
140 Posts
It didnt affect mine but then again the roads are smooth and if they where shit i woudlnt do it if it was my daily

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically, mine bottoms sometimes with the stock springs. If I drop it a very small amount will stiffer springs make up the difference?

And when I say bottoms, I mean I'm hitting the bottom of the car, somewhere underneath, just back of the engine (big black brace underneath).

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you bottom out at stock height, you'll bottom out reaaallly hard lowered.

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I say, it's G Out type bumps that are the problem, that's why I ask if extra stiffness would help.
It's not that when I pull out of a parking lot onto the road, the front end scrapes on the grade, it's really just underneath the car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The steeda springs sport springs for the cobra keep stock initial spring rate and then are progressive as they compress. I really like the way the car corners and can feel the stiffness when I hit a big bump at speed, but otherwise the ride is very similar. They will drop the car about an inch in the front and a bit more in the back, but I do not have a problem bottoming out.

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any springs that drop the car very little, or not at all?

If I had much stiffer springs than I doubt the G-Outs would smoke the bottom of the car on the pavement :furious:

If there was a set that only drops the car a little, and increases the stiffness a lot, then I'd get the look I've wanted for so long, without having to worry about smashing the bottom of the car...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Are there any springs that drop the car very little, or not at all?

If I had much stiffer springs than I doubt the G-Outs would smoke the bottom of the car on the pavement :furious:

If there was a set that only drops the car a little, and increases the stiffness a lot, then I'd get the look I've wanted for so long, without having to worry about smashing the bottom of the car...
I guess I would check with Maximum Motorsports and see what the recommend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have exhaust, make sure it's not scraping. I've helped a few friends solve their bottoming out problem (with stock height springs). Both of them had to raise the exhaust as it was scrapping. What you need to do is loosen all the nuts to the exhaust (at the collector and at the catback). Put a jack on it and raise it a few inches then tighten it down. This will gain you some room to lower the car. I'll have one of them post up on here in case I missed any details.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like slobra said, mine use to scrape too.. I know it does not make sense to be but loosten all of the nuts including at the manifolds jack it up and retighten them.. I gained a good 2 inches this way..

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not the exhaust that scrapes unfortunately. I can't unfortunately give you the name of the piece that hits, but I'll do my best to try and describe it.

Here's a picture for reference, the section of my car which hits doesn't look like this, I'm not sure if that's the K member that's circled there or not. In any case, it's black, and heavy looking metal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
you have any pics of your car? This should not hit much of anything with stock spring lengths. Unless its one heck of a speed bump..

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a few, as you will note, she's still a 4x4

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, I dont know why you hit. You can lower that thing. Does it hit on a lot of things or just certain locations?

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, she's still really high, and it really is only certain locations, however sometimes it'll be one that I've never seen before. I put a TON of miles on this car, and I really need a set of springs that can take the load of these G outs.
Even getting a set of stock coupe springs would really help. I just want something that won't slam me into the ground even worse...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts