Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old friend of my mother's called me up last week to ask if I could help her start a car that had been sitting a while. I went over to take a look at it and was told it had sat for 17 years. It was a 1977 Ford LTD with a 400m V-8
So here is what I did.
Pulled off the plug wires and soaked the plugs with break free. Then went home.
Came back three days later and pulled the plugs. Filled all the cylinders with some old 30wt oil I had. Then went home again.
Next day went over with a spare battery, siphon pump, five gallon jug of gas, fresh plugs, can of ether, and tools.
Siphoned out gas tank, put in half gallon of gas and a pint of alchohol. Jumped up and down on back of car, pulled off gas line and let crud drain into oil pan. Drained oil from engine and filled, replaced filters (fuel and oil).
Installed battery, put rags over plug holes, turned over engine with a wrench first to make sure it wasn't seized, it wasn't. Spun engine over with starter and puked out all the oil that I had put down the plug holes.
Installed plugs and plug wires.
Gave carb a squirt of ether and tried to start it up. It gave a big belch and started running. Then it flooded and died. The float was gummed up and wouldn't close. Pulled off the carb, washed it put, put it together and the car started and ran. Made lots of smoke for the first ten minutes then ran clean.
next week I will pull off the brakes and flush the brake fluid. Then I will carefully take it out for a road test.
I am amazed that a car that was just backed into a garage and given absolutely no preparation for storage would still run after all those years.

·
Registered
612 Posts
when I started one that'd sat for about 5 yrs. (90 acura integra) I used Marvel Mystery Oil. Pulled the plugs poured a little oil in and let it sit for a day. Put some Sta-bil in the gas tank. Came back and turned it over by hand then started it the next day. Fired right up but smoked like hell for awhile. Drove that car for about 3 yrs before and 18 wheeler took it out!

Congrats on getting it running!

·
I'm Your Huckleberry!
1,409 Posts
Ahh, good post, haha. I bought an old 1970 GTO from a shotgun auction back in 1983 and it hadn't been run for about 8 years. I did much of the same thing the OP did to the LTD and it did well too, except the valve guide seals fell apart, they needed replacing right away...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awsome story, I had an 66 Olds Jetstar 88 and it had been sitting for a while, did some TLC, rebuilt the carb, plugs, changed the fluids etc. Fired it right up and drove it for about 3000 miles and sold it to my boss.

Sadly enough she now sits in the back yard of the shop waiting for her restoration day when he retires. But we still move it, he asked me to move it for him a few weeks ago, and she had been sitting for probably a good 6-10 months. Went out there, popped the hood and checked the oil, hooked up the booster box *thinking the batt. was dead* and pumped the gas about 10 times and it fired right up and ran smooth as a babys bottom.

I know that isnt 17 years but its still cool to me :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.