Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my car smokes usually just as i come to a stop at a traffic light but only on the drivers side. Does anyone have an idea what is up with this. I pulled the turbo off and there isnt any signs of oil leaking into the turbo. Also I pulled the plugs on the drivers side and there wasnt any signs of oil being burnt in the chamber. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Could be rings possibly or valve guides maybe. When mine had that problem real bad it was the turbos but if there is no oil residue on intake or exhaust side I would suspect the motor.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I had smoke on decel BAD.

Keep in mind, HPP's PCV system routes the valve covers/mist to a check valve located in the driver's side downpipe. You may get some smoke as a result of that.

However, my smoke was definitely an engine issue. At first I thought valve seals. Pulled everything and replaced those. No help. Then I though turbo drains. Rerouted those. No help. I thought maybe turbo seals, but there was no residue in the piping. Finally I pulled the engine, tore it down, and found my issue. My compression and leakdowns were unfortunately...always good. I had scoring of the cylinder walls that contributed to oil getting into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had smoke on decel BAD.

Keep in mind, HPP's PCV system routes the valve covers/mist to a check valve located in the driver's side downpipe. You may get some smoke as a result of that.

However, my smoke was definitely an engine issue. At first I thought valve seals. Pulled everything and replaced those. No help. Then I though turbo drains. Rerouted those. No help. I thought maybe turbo seals, but there was no residue in the piping. Finally I pulled the engine, tore it down, and found my issue. My compression and leakdowns were unfortunately...always good. I had scoring of the cylinder walls that contributed to oil getting into the combustion chamber.
yeah im not eunning hpp evac system im running a catch can setup

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Valve stem seals or rings. I had the same issue, but I was experimenting with total seal gapless rings (tried them twice.....garbage)

You do a compression or leak down yet??

·
Registered
961 Posts
I would check the turbo wheel for play first, up and down in and out. You can see the wearing on the backing plate inside the turbo.

The heat of the exhaust will burn of the oil so it will be hard to tell in the downpipe.

Leak down would the next thing I would do.

Good Luck

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i pulled the oil drain plug out of the pan and i found large chunks of metal so i think the ringlands are done.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this was a stock motor. But im not sure what happened yet I will get the motor out during the week. Im building a 5.3L boss block motor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts