Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last month my car has started "surging". It appears to be worse and more noticable when your cruising at a higher RPM. The car is stock with a Superchip. I'm beginning to wonder if the chip may be the problem. Anyone else seen this problem on a stock 4.6 DOHC engine?

Thanks

·
400 Posts
Most cars surge because of a maf problem. It's the maf voltage going up and down. A few things can cause this. Maf has oil from the air filter on it. A 90 deg bend or a ram air system before the sensor causing turbulence. Hope I could help.

Rick

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car is surging still , I thought it was the chip I had, but evidently not.

It seems to be worse in colder weather. Id take the car into the service department, but I am not getting a check engine light or anything, and its possible that when I take it, it will be driving fine. But there is definately some type of problem.

I guess it wouldnt bother me if I had a buttload of aftermarket parts, but I have nothing. It drives jerky like a 302 with an aftermarket camshaft. Anyone else have any ideas of stuff I may could check?

·
seasoned member
991 Posts
....back from the dead! ...... sorry.

I have a Vortech'd 98 that is doing the same ....while cruising surging.

I have cleaned the MAF on the car by spraying it with MAF safe spray..... the plugs, and coild, and wires are good.

I also replaced the TPS, b/c that is exactly what it feels like an out of range TPS on an older FOX Stang......?

any other thoughts?

thanks,

chuck in DE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Other things that could cause surging:

Intake Vaccum Leak (would probably be a boost leak while crusing), O2 sensors going bad, Fuel pressure issue, Fuel injector issue, excessive exhaust backpressure (clogged cats)

Just a few thoughts...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts