Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try one?? Is there really any benefit over Alum D.S.?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Wouldn't Carbon Fiber be stronger and lighter then aluminum. Decreasing rotating mass while at the same time increasing rigidity and strength has to be better.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
FWIW........

When they first came out a few Lightning guys tried them and tore the $hit out of them. Ironically the first design (steel) has proven to be the toughest. Quite a few guys actually swap out (mostly due to them breaking) the aluminum DS for the steel ones.

Early model Gen 2's were steel........late model years are aluminum.

--Joe

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a PST carbon fiber driveshaft on my 98 Cobra for 3 years and never had an issue. The car was making nearly 700 hp and over 550 ft lbs of torque.

After seeing what a steel driveshaft did to James Hensler's undercarriage, tranny, and bell after it broke at Smackdown, I would not go any other way on a hi hp car.

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
MODCOBRA said:
After seeing what a steel driveshaft did to James Hensler's undercarriage, tranny, and bell after it broke at Smackdown, I would not go any other way on a hi hp car.
Did he have a loop on??

--Joe

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
So if the carbon fiber one goes south...does it just disintegrate into a bunch of fibers when it goes? Is this why it is safer than steel or aluminum?

Hot Rod Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
That is correct Harry.........just a cloud of dust!!!! and a hardy hi yo Silver..........AWAY!!!!

Ben Dorn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts