Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Cats stoped up?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  SVTyballz 
#1 ·
I've heard that some cars are having problems with the factory cats. I've only had my car for a few days now and it only has 500 or so miles on it, but whenever I run it kinda hard then stop, I smell something sorta like burnt plastic. I opened the hood tonight, and I can't smell it.

It definately is coming from the exhuast. There could possibly be something on the exhaust somewhere that is getting hot and burning, but after talking to Rick @ Amazon, he thinks it may be the cats.

Anyone else having this problem?

#2 ·
I'd give it some time, the car is too new to tell. It could be some coating burning off, or even the catalytic material "breaking in". I wouldn't worry about it now.

#4 ·
After you run your car hard stop and take a look at the cats if they are glowing red then you have a problem. If not they are probably just burning in.

#5 ·
Eric,, You will smell that Cobra for more then 1000 miles.
I remember reading all the guys complaining about the same thing.
I thought my cats were bad also because they were discolored..That is normal.. Glowing Red is not normal..
just look under the car when it's hot..

#8 ·
Eric, could you have had the same bad luck I did? On the way home from the dealer I had a plastic bag blow in front of me on the freeway. Naturally it stuck to the pipes just in front of the cats. Even though I yanked it right off it still stank for another couple of weeks.

#9 ·
The clogged cat problem is only when the car is very new. The problem was the cats were loading up with fuel in the begining from being started and shut off without coming to operating temp. The big injectors would load the cats with fuel and then eventually melt down when new. This was only a problem the 1st 4 months or so that Cobras were produced. I havent seen a Cobra at our dealer with bad cats in prolly 7 months.

#10 ·
I am just over 3k on mine and I can smell them more now than ever. Of course I was easy until 2.5k.....then started doing the back roads heating things up. Like everyone is saying...no worry unless they are glowing. You will probably replace them in your first mod anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.