Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Centerforce is soon to be producing a twin disc clutch setup, and attached are the first public photos of the unit.

After Larry (F8LSNKE) upgraded to a Kenne Bell 2.8H Mammoth blower from the ported blower he was running, he has ran into clutch holding issues. With the power the ported Eaton setup was making, the Spec Stage 3+ help up perfectly, but during the dyno tuning process of the Mammoth kit, we noticed some slippage on the dyno that was even more apparent on the street. Larry ordered a brand new Spec 3+ as he was assured it would hold his power level. Once installed we were able to finish up tuning the car, but after less than 5 track passes, it just will not hold.

Eager to try something different, we contacted Will Baty @ Centerforce clutch and asked him for his suggestions. He recommended the DFX, but mentioned that they were working on a new twin disc that was still in R&D. This new twin disc has proven itself in their test vehicle, a 2008 Cobra Jet making over 800 RWHP and running mid 9 second ETs. We have no problem trying something new.

The clutch is being installed tomorrow, and we will be at a local track event this weekend. Once we get some track passes on it, we will let you guys know how well it has worked out.

Below is the information Centerforce gave me on the clutch
We are using two 10.4" diameter segmented carbon fiber lined friction discs. The discs are unique in that they both mount on a single (mono) spring center hub (the spring center provides torsional dampening for the driveline). This design (patent pending) allows for a reduction in rotating mass when compared to a double sprung hub twin disc. The Pressure Plate features our patented Centerforce centrifugal weight system that will increase the pressure plate clamp force with engine RPM. The Light Metal Aluminum pressure ring features our patented ball bearing fulcrum point for ease of operation while providing a dramatic increase static clamping force. The Pressure Plate also features a replaceable alloy steel wear surface. This unit has been currently been tested to about 900 ft/lbs - but, should reliably hold 1100 ft/lbs. or more.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive tire Light Product Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Rim Wood Circle Machine

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
L&M build in progress!
1,461 Posts
Cool deal! More competition!

·
Registered
864 Posts
at what hp and tq level was this spec 3+ not holding? Was it properly broken in within reason before the track passes? at 720/740 so far mine is fine, just getting out of the break in period with some dyno and street abuse.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
The clutch is being installed tomorrow, and we will be at a local track event this weekend. Once we get some track passes on it, we will let you guys know how well it has worked out.
Good stuff, EB! Curious, does the above statement mean there won't be any "break-in" time on it, or does Will think that's not necessary?

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
at what hp and tq level was this spec 3+ not holding? Was it properly broken in within reason before the track passes? at 720/740 so far mine is fine, just getting out of the break in period with some dyno and street abuse.
The new one was broken in properly. I'll have Larry chime in on exactly how long he broke it in for.

On the dyno , it has not made more than 660 SAE, but that was on big drag radials, which I think makes the dyno read a bit lower. It has trapped 143.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff, EB! Curious, does the above statement mean there won't be any "break-in" time on it, or does Will think that's not necessary?
It needs to break in, he is gonna drive the hell out of the car before the track day.

·
Registered
211 Posts
shit, whats it gonna take to get me one of these for spring?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Eric any rough idea on how much these will run? i assume they will be competitively priced along with the other twin disk setups??

lastly will it only come in one model or more?

looks good and let us know on the results

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
Let us know how it drives. I have been eager to try a twin, but everyone I have driven the pedal feels "sticky"

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shit, whats it gonna take to get me one of these for spring?
Pretty sure they will be out by then.

Eric any rough idea on how much these will run? i assume they will be competitively priced along with the other twin disk setups??

lastly will it only come in one model or more?

looks good and let us know on the results
Not sure, I'll find out.

Let us know how it drives. I have been eager to try a twin, but everyone I have driven the pedal feels "sticky"
Will do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lets just hope this clutch from centerforce didn't make the testing process.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I put about 400 miles of street driving on it before going to the track and I don't know why it started slipping at the track. It holds fine on the street. It was actually 10 passes before it started slipping all on drag radials. It doesn't slip in first as it usually spins badly and it seems to hold fine in second, but when I shift 3rd it slips so bad that I lost 7 mph in the 1/8.
Larry running at Twiggs Saturday?
That is the plan providing all goes well with the install. I've got 15 gal. of race fuel ready to go and a new set of 325 drag radials to try out. I'll be running the ultimate dot class.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts

·
Moving on up...
4,776 Posts
Kind of looks like the DFX pressure plate...but it looks like it has ARP hardware on it. Is that aftermarket, or do they come with the clutch?

·
Moving on up...
4,776 Posts
Kind of looks like the DFX pressure plate...but it looks like it has ARP hardware on it. Is that aftermarket, or do they come with the clutch?
Hmm, ok...nobody knows...cool.

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
The discs are unique in that they both mount on a single (mono) spring center hub.
You guys got any pictures of this new "Pat Pend" hub design/disk setup?

I can bet one thing though, these will cost an arm and two legs.
Don't get me wrong, I like CF and use them exclusively, but some of their stuff is just a little high priced.
And this may be the piece I've waited 5 years for...

Also, any mods required to complete the installation?

Dan

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What you see is what you get. The ARP hardware comes with it. Unsure if the PP is the same or not, I will find out and post back.

The discs are unique in that they both mount on a single (mono) spring center hub.
You guys got any pictures of this new "Pat Pend" hub design/disk setup?

I can bet one thing though, these will cost an arm and two legs.
Don't get me wrong, I like CF and use them exclusively, but some of their stuff is just a little high priced.
And this may be the piece I've waited 5 years for...

Also, any mods required to complete the installation?

Dan
Dan, I should have those pictures soon. No mods required.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts