Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of factors to this but I am trying to get a concensus as to what is safe. My car as it sits has 11.5 degrees in it and my tuner didn't want to add any more until I get my fuel situation fixed. Well I will have that taken car of and when I go back in a week or two I want to know what is the max. I was thinking 16 or 17 would be ok with 93 octane. My car is 9.5 to 1 and has a front mount intercooler. Right now its making 12lbs of boost and when I go back we are going to rev it a little higher to try and make 15lbs. My goal is 500 rwhp on their Mustang dyno. Right now its at 441.

·
Registered
129 Posts
17 sounds right to me with an i/c setup at that boost and compression. That car should wake right up with 5-6 more * of timing. I am a little curious though, did that 441 on a mustang happen while the car was a little lean or is that while the af was still in the 11.8 range? I know that my car made 477whp on a dynojet at 11.8 but when it started going lean another time it made 507whp at a 12.3 af. Your 441whp on a mustang should be close to 500whp on a dynojet from my experience. That should make real nice power with 3 more lbs of boost and extra timing if your previous power wasn't when going lean. If it was then your gains might not be as impressive as you expect. I know I am dealing with that right now, hehe. Good luck!!

·
My car hates me
503 Posts
I'm on the stock block with 18 degrees. That's the max I'm gonna go. My tuner says not to put in anymore. I have an intercooler too.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
17 sounds right to me with an i/c setup at that boost and compression. That car should wake right up with 5-6 more * of timing. I am a little curious though, did that 441 on a mustang happen while the car was a little lean or is that while the af was still in the 11.8 range? I know that my car made 477whp on a dynojet at 11.8 but when it started going lean another time it made 507whp at a 12.3 af. Your 441whp on a mustang should be close to 500whp on a dynojet from my experience. That should make real nice power with 3 more lbs of boost and extra timing if your previous power wasn't when going lean. If it was then your gains might not be as impressive as you expect. I know I am dealing with that right now, hehe. Good luck!!
Thanks for the reply. The afr was 11.5 all the way and then it started to creep up to 11.8 that's why he got out of it at 5700. He tried a few things but said he felt like if I had an adjustable fpr we could jack the fuel pressure up and solve the problem. So I ordered an aeromotive fpr, and some aftermarket fuel rails and once they get here I will put them on and head back to the dyno. We were talking and he said he was probably going to do 15.5 degrees on my car and he wanted the afr to be 11.5.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The afr was 11.5 all the way and then it started to creep up to 11.8 that's why he got out of it at 5700. He tried a few things but said he felt like if I had an adjustable fpr we could jack the fuel pressure up and solve the problem. So I ordered an aeromotive fpr, and some aftermarket fuel rails and once they get here I will put them on and head back to the dyno. We were talking and he said he was probably going to do 15.5 degrees on my car and he wanted the afr to be 11.5.
That is definitely playing it safe. If you make good power, I would be very happy with that safety margin. I am very interested in seeing what you make with the extra boost and timing.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I ran 14.5* @ 10psi non-intercooled back in the spring(93 octane). I am at 16.5* now intercooled, but I can go as high a 20* on 93 octane.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
lons2001gt, how does that setup make 460tq on a 281???? strange....

·
Registered
129 Posts
lons2001gt, how does that setup make 460tq on a 281???? strange....
Stock block and heads, hp cams, meth inj, stock intake, 3.1 pulley (14lbs), Vortech SQ. That was the setup when I made that torque. I have the graphs from SGS if you would like to see them. I think that was around 17-18* of timing.

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The 13.75 was smartass answer.

I run 12-13. More then that detontes the thing. With the auto it doesn't like even want timing. Only 16 with race gas. With the stick on race gas and methanol I would run 19-20.

I don't see the point in running a ton of timing on the street. Why kill the motor for no reason. You can't really put the power down in must cases, especially when your getting over 600rwhp. It's kinda better to save it for the track I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts