Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a 99+ GT to swap rear ends with but I can't seem to find anyone local.

I really wanted to use a 99+ rear end because of the width, but my only option other than swapping is buying one outright, but from the prices I have seen, it just doesn't make sense to go that route.

Pre 99 rear ends are all over the place, for those of you that went with a 94-98 Rearend, did you need to space out your wheels? Also, some people have used a 93 and earlier rear end.. How much narrower is this rear than a 99 style?

I can grab up a 93 rear end for next to nothing, so thats why I am asking.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Going to a 93 rearend would be a PITA because your going to need SN95 axles anyway. Remember in 93 you had Drums with 4 lugs or Cobra Disc but still a 4 lug. To switch either will require the use of a SN95 axle and then you have issues finding Rotors because 93 Disc were vented Vs non vented on other yr models.

Do you plan on keeping your IRS ? If not why not Swap the IRS for a 99 Solid ? Im sure you can get the 99 rear and cash for just your IRS ? I know 3 people who have personally swapped IRS on a 99+ Cobra, I think in all 3 cases they were Pre 99 Rears. If your swapping rears, your prolly gonna swap axles, you need spacers to run stock rims due to longer studs. IMO you will be fine with a Pre 99 rear. Also remember the V6 Mustang has 5 Lug with rear disc.

Buzz

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had planned on retaining my factory rear brakes, and also using aftermarket axles, therefore the only majoy thing with a pre 94 is the width

I have looked high and low for someone to swap with, that way I come out cheaper and maybe a little money in my pocket, my only problem is finding someone in South Georgia

·
Registered
257 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
I had planned on retaining my factory rear brakes, and also using aftermarket axles, therefore the only majoy thing with a pre 94 is the width

I have looked high and low for someone to swap with, that way I come out cheaper and maybe a little money in my pocket, my only problem is finding someone in South Georgia
Eric, the Pre 94 arent as long as 94-98 and 99 are even longer correct ? If this all holds true, IMO its better to get a 94-98 Rear. The reason is with axles you get 3 inch studs, 3 inch studs dont work very well on stock wheels. With a 94-98 rear you can run a total of 1/2 inch per side (spacers) and this sets your tires to where they should be stock, the 1/2 inch spacers allow you to use stock rims without a problem. Of Course as Mentioned in 1st post, Dont rule out a V6 rear on a 99+ car, they are alot cheaper than GT units. Also since its a V6 the salvage yards are willing to part out the car instead of trying to sell a whole junked car.

JMO

Good Luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
99 with 3 inch studs here. no problems. yeah the stud sticks through and looks weird but who gives a rats ass? you will need control arms, exhaust, the ABS sensors from a GT, all the hardware, my driveshaft worked,and the weird bracket that goes around the axle tube at the brake but doesnt hold anything. If you go with aftermarket lowers make sure they have a provision for the E-brake cable.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
Correct me if I am wrong but don't all V6 Mustangs have 7.5 rear ends?
Correct. The 7.5 makes your stock IRS look like a 33 spline spool setup:D The guys I know who have done it have all used 96-98 axles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts