Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been checking out the lightning boards, and noticed that a lot of the guys have been changing out the fuel filters pretty early (9k-12k miles) with noticeable results. i had a problem a couple of weeks ago when i was only running 109 mph traps, when last season i was running 114 in the same exact weather conditions. so i decided to change the filter and check the plugs. the new filter i could blow through very easily with no effort, the stock 11k miles filter i could barely blow through, felt like blowing as hard as you can through a small straw. huge difference, put the new one on. car feels better, but won't really know until i get back to Etown. hopefully i can get back up to 114 traps, and practice with my nittos and shoot for some low 12s, which should hold me off until i get my pulley/chip next month.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Being a former Lightning Owner the importance of changing the fuel filter about every 3 - 6 K has been shown time and time again. Nothing worse then starving the engine of fuel at high load and boost levels.

As far as your "blow through" test........ Unless you let the old fuel filter DRY out and then attempted to blow through it your test really doesn't tell you anything. You are trying to compare a wet filter to a dry one. Of course it is going to be harder to blow through a wet filter.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thats correct you cant do the blow through thing because the old one has fuel in it, and new one is dry . Good practice change the filter every 2k miles on raced cars. nitro

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is interesting, I just took my car to the dealership today and had the service manager go for a ride so I could reproduce the intermittent hard miss that I have. 80% of the time it happens at initial tip-in to boost, 20% of the time it happens when I'm halfway thorugh a gear at max boost. They are arranging time hopefully this week to hook up the Ford "Flight Recorder" that will capture 16 seconds of data or so. Fuel filter would be a smart thing to check but since the car has 5400 miles I didn't even think about the filter..

http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=949

Jerry

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so it sounds like i should just change every time i do my oil? as a safeguard. are there any options as to bigger filters? i see the lightning guys use the navigator filter which is considerably larger.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got mine from karparts, it was a purolator, about $10

·
Registered
374 Posts
according to my service manuals, seems like a bitch to replace....

have to back pressure off, have a pressure gauge, etc..

is it easy or hard?

thanks
m.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I did it on my 94 and it was easy. I just used a rag to soak up the gas. I didn't release the pressure before hand. Just popped the two plastic clips off, and swapped it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on most 96-97s, all 98 and up mustangs the clip on style was changed to the PITA slip on fuel line. you have to slide the little plastic tool in the female portion which holds the spring piece inside, then you pull back on the fuel line and it disconnects, its a real pain until you figure it out, then its easy. but with the IRS its also a pain to get to, and can only fit 1 hand in there at a time. you don't need a fuel pressure gauge, just go to the shrader valve which should be easily accesible on the fuel lines on the engine, use a rag(i used a big sponge) to cover the valve, and use something pointy to depress the valve and release the pressure. you can also open the gas cap, which will relieve(sp?) some pressure. after you relieve the pressure, you can remove the lines from the filter, and be prepared for a bath, there will still be some fuel in the lines and the filter. and it doesn't feel too good in your eyes, so safety goggle might help too.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Figures they'd switch to those crap spring lock connectors. I guess the plastic clips were just too damn practical. :damnit

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Got 10,700 miles..I guess i'll do filter now,,,

jim v.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A lot of the Lightning Vendors have been selling the Motorcraft filters for awhile. I'd perfer to keep it Motorcraft. Try Blue Oval Performance, that's where I bought my Lightning parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts