Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 2011 mustang GT with the 420a package. This is the stock clutch. He drives the car pretty easy for the most part and doesn't do burnouts. I think Ford is going to replace the clutch but is giving him a hard time. He has a Kenne bell kit. Only running 9 psi which is the base kit.

Any idea what could've caused this? He was out driving and it gave out and was unable to get it into gear. Towed it to the stealership and they took it apart

Attachments

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think Ford Motors would not pay for a new clutch with the mods you have,but Good Luck.
Sorry you missed the end. It's already a done deal they are putting the clutch and pressure plate in under warranty. Just because you have a supercharger doesn't void the warranty. From what I see on the forums, it's up to the mfg to show that the mods caused the failure. Clutches don't just blow apart because of forced induction. I can give you countless examples.

· Registered
402 Posts
Sorry you missed the end. It's already a done deal they are putting the clutch and pressure plate in under warranty. Just because you have a supercharger doesn't void the warranty. From what I see on the forums, it's up to the mfg to show that the mods caused the failure. Clutches don't just blow apart because of forced induction. I can give you countless examples.
I am on your side and great you got a new clutch and free labor!

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I say too but it's not my car, I have a spec stage 2 in my blown 2 valve. I've just never seen one break that way and was wondering if you have or know what could've caused that. I've been reading about the loose pressure plate bolts and wondering if it led to this but don't know how commone the loose bolts are.

· Registered
391 Posts
My guess would be the pressure plate bolts started backing out causing an uneven pressure plate to disc contact. Nothing wrong with the stock clutch as long as it is installed correctly which the factory seemed to not do a very good job of.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
My guess would be the pressure plate bolts started backing out causing an uneven pressure plate to disc contact. Nothing wrong with the stock clutch as long as it is installed correctly which the factory seemed to not do a very good job of.
I don't know about that. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to install a clutch. The pressure plate bolts backed out on certain build date cars. Ford updated those bolts and also the clutch in later MY year cars. I think it is a growing pain that happened with a 7K RPM motor that they didn't anticipate.

I do agree outside of those initial issues the stock clutch seems pretty decent.

· Registered
158 Posts
I don't know about that. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to install a clutch. The pressure plate bolts backed out on certain build date cars. Ford updated those bolts and also the clutch in later MY year cars. I think it is a growing pain that happened with a 7K RPM motor that they didn't anticipate.

I do agree outside of those initial issues the stock clutch seems pretty decent.
...you are correct! according to Ford, 3% out of +-29K MT82 has had issues. Here's a link to the official Ford response to the NHTSA...

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ford-nhtsa-response.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.