Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have heard it is good to go with the stock clutch as it will provide the necessary slip, as a clutch that grabs better may break something. There may be something out there that may last longer than the stock unit though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hermann with HorsepowerByHermann
http://www.hbh.org/
put a very nice, very strong Centerforce in mine last week. Love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chill,

I'm sorry. It's not on the site. You gotta call HBH. 410-451-3790. Either "Joe" or "Hermann" will answer (or if you leave a message, they'll call back) and they will talk to you as much as you want in my experience. If you ask about the Centerforce they installed last week in my car, they will know exactly what you're talking about. It was an 11' Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chill,
I didn't change the flywheel. Hermann said that changing the flywheel was an option, but wasn't necessary at this point... but that the flywheel took some damage from the same burnouts that torched my clutch so if I damaged another clutch (unlikely anytime soon given that I now have the Centerforce) I would need to replace the flywheel. On the price of the Centeforce dual friction, I think it was $470, but I gotta say I really love it. Hermann also installed a very nice clutch cable/firewall adjuster/adjuster quadrant set up. Anyway, I would advise you to give Hermann or Joe a call because they are a delight to deal with and know exponentially more than me about the whole clutch picture.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hey,

Just installed the following:

SPEC STAGE3 XL (lightweight, ceramic friction material)
SPEC Aluminum flywheel
Steeda adjustable clutch cable
UPR triple quadrant & firewall adjuster

...along with a bunch of other parts like:

upgraded halfshafts
MM poly IRS subframe bushings
KB IRS pumpkin bushings
KB rear toe control kit

...as well as:

rebuilt my traction-lok with alternating clutch/plate method
plumbed the differential housing for a drain plug.

As far as the clutch, it grabs like a MOFO and chatters a little. I'm told it will tone down after 1000 miles. I have about 150mi on it and it has already gotten much better.

Can't go wrong with SPEC. When I did the clutch, I did the pilot bearing and TOB (both came with clutch kit).

MJ

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
chillfactor said:
Wow ...now whats a set up like that cost....or should I say set you back?????
The bill from SPEC was ~ $785 (clutch, PP, flywheel, TOB, pilot bearing, install tool).

MJ

·
Registered
295 Posts
McLeod

Isn't anyone running a McLeod. These are the ticket! I wouldn't even look elsewhere. http://www.mcleodind.com/

The tech line is a pain to finally get through, so I suggest faxing your request, but McLeod is one of your top mfg. I have the part numbers for the disc, TB, & PP for the 11" replacement That I am using in my 03 Cobra motor to 91' fox swap, BUT I am running a TKO tranny, so that disk PN is for the 26 spline shaft. But thats just the hub. List price (so you can get cheaper) for the above mentioned is $390. Only one gentleman is on the tech line, and he knows everything you can imagine! He also is extremely knowledgeable in the competitors systems. The disk in the clutch I am going with is full face on one side and 'pucked' on the other. Their are many reasons for this. Anyway, They also have a twin disk set-up, which runs a twin 10.5" clutch, & comes with a new flywheel at $1000.

BTW, McLeod will shortly (around mid-july) have an SFI bell for the 4.6L.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a new one, have not heard of this company before. It seems like more and more people are going with a Spec type clutch................but what is the drivablity of the Spec 3 over the Spec 2

·
Registered
129 Posts
never had a problem with the Mcleod setup in my GT, as opposed to ram, frpp, and centerforce. I'm needing a clutch for the 03 as well......whats the word on the improved input shaft? That's really the only reason I've not bought anything yet.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Chillfactor,

I would definately look into the McLeod's. Now I did run a Spec Stage 3 on my 331 Novi 2K supercharged motor backing the same TKO. (They gave me the sponsor rate as they were new to the Ford world) Other than clutch 'clatter' at low speed & rpms the disk did hold up. Now that was a stage 3, 4 puck (front & back) disk. It did chew the my FRPP SFI flywheel some.

As for Spec 3 over 2, you should LOSE 'drivability'. Like I mentioned above my Spec 3 had alot of chatter. If you call the Tech Line @ McLeod (you'll speak with Red Roberts), he can explain the reason this clatter occurs.

Charlez03,
Improved input shaft? Not suer if that was directed towards me? The TKO runs a 26 spline input, basically for strength and improved torque capabilities. I haven't broke mine yet:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my research, I found a number of local mechanics who said that the Spec would change the driveability if it was my daily driver, etc. Whether that would have been true or not, I have to say that the Centerforce dual friction has been perfect. No change in driveablity, no chatter, etc. Sweet.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You got to love this site.......Great info and the knowledge to go a long with it. Thanks guys, now I have to do some research. Any additional help is welcome.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Everrett, sorry, not aimed at ya! I just don't full ythink out my thoughts before typing! I've got a TKO myself, with never any problems other than just replacing blocker rings from time to time. But I think I thought I saw somewhere that an improved input shaft for the T56 is/was going to be made available sometime? Anyone else heard that? That's why I've not bought a clutch yet for the 03. AS for the TKO in the GT, I'll stick with the Mcleod setup (never had a need to cahnge it out yet!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
How long are the clutches lasting ? 10,000 miles? I have noticed the burning smell a few times. I guess i would rather upgrade the half shafts, rebuild the trac control, and put in a monster clutch rather that changing the stocker so often. As for drivability, hey, its a racecar anyway right ??

02 True Blue Lightning
03 Redfire Cobra

1 - 20 of 27 Posts