Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew up the TOB in my nearly stock 04 cobra. I now have the tranny out replacing the TOB retainer tube.

I need to order a new clutch. What is the best bang-for-the-buck clutch out there? Looking to spend $250-$350 range, so there is no point in suggesting the high dollar dual-disk systems.

I already have a zoom ZVT set that I plan to return due to the poor customer reviews I have seen online. Best recommendation I have so far is for the SPEC stage 1 or 2. But,,, some claim a jumpy feel from the Stage2 (either all on or off).

Anyone with good success with a clutch kit under $399, please chime in!!

I plan to order a HD FR- TOB, so that is not a decision making factor. FWIW. Also, the Flywheel is already off to McLeod for restoration.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the part # for the stock 03-04 cobra clutch?

I did not think it was even available. I would like a lighter pedal effort if possible.

· 4.6 ways to waste money
1,930 Posts
Even a Centerforce dual friction, great clutch.

The key to a long happy clutch life is proper adjustment and no contaimination.

· Registered
340 Posts
There was another thread a week or two about Promotion clutches, check it out. I have the Promotion 700 hp Cobra clutch, and it holds 620 rwhp just fine, and is smoother and lighter in effort than the OEM clutch in my Toyota Tacoma daily driver. I highly recommend Promotion, even though you might not have many mods right now.

· Registered
4,062 Posts
There was another thread a week or two about Promotion clutches, check it out. I have the Promotion 700 hp Cobra clutch, and it holds 620 rwhp just fine, and is smoother and lighter in effort than the OEM clutch in my Toyota Tacoma daily driver. I highly recommend Promotion, even though you might not have many mods right now.
I have the Promotion 750 that is just about broken in. It has very light pedal pressure but hold a lot of power.
You are welcome to drive mine if you want to.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Promotion 750 that is just about broken in. It has very light pedal pressure but hold a lot of power.
You are welcome to drive mine if you want to.
Senkak, where did you get your promotion clutch from? I just got my TOB retainer pressed in today at work. This is the first I have heard of 'promotion'.

Any feedback on feel of enguagement? Smooth, grabby etc?

· Registered
4,062 Posts
Senkak, where did you get your promotion clutch from? I just got my TOB retainer pressed in today at work. This is the first I have heard of 'promotion'.

Any feedback on feel of enguagement? Smooth, grabby etc?
I bought from Promotion directly.
Here is the site. ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL
Wally is the man and knows his stuff.
The prices are very reasonable to.
Engagement is surprisingly smooth for a brand new clutch.
My last clutch rattled my teeth until it broke in.
You are welcome to come by and check it out.
I am in the big town of WG to.

· Registered
340 Posts
I bought from Promotion directly.
Here is the site. ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL
Wally is the man and knows his stuff.
The prices are very reasonable to.
Engagement is surprisingly smooth for a brand new clutch.
My last clutch rattled my teeth until it broke in.
You are welcome to come by and check it out.
I am in the big town of WG to.
I bought my clutch directly from Wally at Promotion too, along with their 26 spline input shaft that they make in-house. Their input shaft appeared to be very high quality too. Anyhow, I was easy on the clutch the first few hundred miles, but it has never chattered once, even when first installed. My Cobra only had a few thousand miles on it when I installed the Promotion clutch so I didn't have too much seat time on the OEM clutch, but I do feel the Promotion is lighter. Like I said before, it is lighter and smoother than the OEM clutch in my Toyota Tacoma- literally! I have run Centerforce, Ram, and Mcloed clutches in my other Mustangs, and while I don't have horrible things to say about any of these (other than the Ram, perhaps, because it was an "on/off" switch), the Promotion seems far superior. I never knew a single disk clutch that can hold this much power could be so smooth and light. I feel it would be totally acceptable for a daily driver.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have those running the Promotion clutch installed the TO-Bearing that they supply? I was leaning toward ordering the Ford Racing HD TOB. I spoke with Wally at Promotion and he said their TOB was very reliable. He seems to know his stuff, I just want to get this thing together the right way!!!

· Registered
340 Posts
Have those running the Promotion clutch installed the TO-Bearing that they supply? I was leaning toward ordering the Ford Racing HD TOB. I spoke with Wally at Promotion and he said their TOB was very reliable. He seems to know his stuff, I just want to get this thing together the right way!!!
I bought my TOB (as well as the alignment tool, roller pilot bearing, input shaft, input bearing, shim kit, TOB steel guide tube, and retainer seal) directly from Promotion, and haven't had any issue. Granted, I don't drive my car much but it has all been flawless. I just looked up my receipt, and for what it's worth, the part number listed is N1714SA and the description is FORD Throw Out Bearing.. not sure if this is a Ford part number or not.

· Registered
1,563 Posts
I have been running a Certerforce Dual Friction on a pullied cobra for a while now. I am even still running the stock input shaft because I don't beat the car hard enough to need the upgraded one. The clutch has not given me any problems. It works perfectly. My only bitch is that for some reason the pedal pressure increased as the pressure plate got heat cycled and aged some. Still not as heavy as stock, but not nearly as light as when first installed. It is smooth at low rpm, and holds plenty of power for a stockish cobra.

The key to the life of the TOB is the adjustable firewall adapter and upgraded quadrant. This way you can insure that the TOB is not riding the pressure plate when you are not pushing the clutch in. My stock cable / quadrant set up ate a couple of TOBs.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This way you can insure that the TOB is not riding the pressure plate when you are not pushing the clutch in. My stock cable / quadrant set up ate a couple of TOBs.
I know this is the conventional wisdom on adjusting TOBs. When I spoke with Wally at ProMotion, he insists that the TOB should maintain a constant contact with the PP release springs. I KNOW, I KNOW.... This goes against everything I have heard for 22+ years working on (mostely) vintage mustangs.

I will look into this further. Wally sounds like he knows his stuff, but I rarely take any advice without a sanity check.

· Registered
4,524 Posts
We talked about this here a few months ago. The argument is that if the TOB is not constantly spinning, you have to accelerate it up to speed with every shift- and people think that's harder on the bearing than constantly spinning. I can see both sides, but without a scientific data there's no way you can say one way or the other is correct. Ford did set it up to spin all the time- but then again- lots of stock Ford TOBs fail early. All that said, I've had the LDC spring mod for years so my TOB is always off the clutch. I have 17K miles on it with no noise whatsoever from the TOB. Stock clutch is still holding about 550 RWHP, no problem.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ended up buying the 520hp clutch from ProMotion. It arrived Friday. It looks pretty much just like the stock valeo part. I also ordered a new Clutch fork. The original got mared up a bit when the TOB started gyrating around. It probably would have been fine, but a new one is cheap insurance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.