Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the diff from stock gt brakes to the cobra brakes and what is involved with changing over? looking for better stoping power... thanks and how much can one pick up a setup of cobras

·
Registered
492 Posts
ya but cobra's over stock gt brakes def.

·
Registered
155 Posts
you can also use calipers off a c5 corvette. they offer more clamping force than the cobra's and are the same price. baer brakes sells an adaptor for the c5 caliper to bolt up to the gt spindle. then just get cobra rotors and your set. i did this setup on my car and i love it. i got ebc slotted rotors and hawk pads and the thing stops on a dime.

·
Registered
492 Posts
never knew about that one. ill have to check that out.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Its a very easy swap. takes 3 more steps then a brake job. You can also save a little cash on the swap by buying mach1 calipers. They are the exact same caliper as the cobras but without "COBRA" etched into the caliper. Unless you really want it its not worth the extra money. Most kits you find also come with SS brake lines.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the cobra brakes on my car.Very easy install,I also added ss lines.The stopping performance is much better than the stock brakes. 13 inch rotors,cobra calipers,ss lines were around 400 bucks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
can you still run skinnies up front with the 13 in. cobra's

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
you will need a 1" spacer for 15x3.5 welds to clear (draglites/prostars). You will also need to cut off a little bit on the end of your studs so the wheel can sit flat on the spacer. Or you can run a 1.25" spacer and you won't have to grind off the end of the wheel studs but it will make the wheels stick out another 1/4". You can also run a 1/2" spacer I believe with these wheels if you grind the face of the black caliper bracket down a little bit.

Greg weld 15x3.5's wont clear with a spacer. Greg weld makes a 17x4.5 skinny though that will fit over bigger brakes but I've only seen 1 vendor with them (jimsracingtires.com). Summit doesn't carry the 17" dragstar wheels yet

·
Registered
492 Posts
ok any idea on the price for them

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
the greg weld 17x4.5's are $199 a piece i think. I would run extended studs too, moroso has 3" studs for cheap that are setup to clear the abs rings on the front hub. I would run the mcgard lugs too, think MCG-63000 is the part # for the 1/2 open lugs with offset washers. They are more expensive but will hold up better than the greg weld hardware which rusts in like a month

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.