Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the disadvantages or advantages of going with a cobra crankshaft in my forged 2v engine build-up. I currently have a 98 2v block that has been cleaned and magged and is ready for parts to be ordered. This engine will see varing levels of boost, but the type of supercharger has not been selected yet. The car (97GT) will see various applications. There is a drag strip, auto-x, and road race course all within an hours drive from my home. It is mainly my daily driver right now but as this project elvolves that could change. Obviously we all want to mitigate expenses on our engine projects so I have pretty much eliminated the high dollar billet cranks but I thought the cobra crank would be a good choice. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any info you could provide

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I would get the Cobra Crank.It is an important upgrade for a blower car..

·
Registered
39 Posts
i bought the cobra crank. you probably should get the cobra crank. but.....i dont know anyone that broke the GT crank yet. i guess you dont want to be the first. karkraft.com had some good prices on the cobra crank. thats where i bought mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool Got the cobra crank from the ups guy yesterday;) Now its on to bearings and rods. What are everyone recomendations in this area. I was thinking maybe Manley h-beam but I've also been told Eagle is a good brand also. I have no idea about bearings so any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
511 Posts
Manley H-beams will handle it and unless something has come out recently you will be fine using new OEM bearings in the crank.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How will car be run, NA,Blower,N20, Turbo ? The advantage of a Cobra crank is stronger and less harmonics. The only disadvantage I can think of are cost and more rotating mass. The Rods,rings and bearing all depend on your needs. Federal Mogul makes trimetal bearings for these motors and regardless of poweradder or not would prolly use those. If you dont plan on getting very wild with the car, Eagle rods will support 500-600 RWHP easily. If you plan on spraying or more power Manley Forged or if you want the best billets.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The only main difference between manleys and eagles are the rod bolts .The manleys use normal arp rod bolts and the eagles use arp 2000 bolts.

Bearings -federal mogul makes some good ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
white99gt said:
The only main difference between manleys and eagles are the rod bolts .The manleys use normal arp rod bolts and the eagles use arp 2000 bolts.

Bearings -federal mogul makes some good ones.
I think I'll go with the federal mogul tri metal bearings. I also found (modmax i think) has an upgrade to the arp2000 rod bolts for the manley rods. Also wondering if anyone knows who manufactures the Modmax h-beams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts