Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever wonder what it would be like to have a 2000 Cobra R intake on your car? I know I am. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting one of these and putting it on there car? I only wish I knew where to get one. I think it would definately be something worth trying. I bet that thing can flow some serious air. Sorry if this is a stupid post but really wouldn't it be awsome.

Pete

·
Registered
385 Posts
The 2000 Cobra R intake is for a 4V 5.4L motor. It wouldn't fit the 4.6. Also, in order to actually get a R intake, you need to prove to Ford that you own a 2000 Cobra R and that your original was actually damaged in some way.

You can have a sheet metal intake fabbed for your application (n/a, turbo, SC, etc) and it would probably be cheaper than the R intake.

Darren

·
Registered
511 Posts
The Australian market 5.4 DOHC engine uses basically the same intake and we are working on getting a part number now, but as already mentioned it will only fit a 5.4 DOHC engine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why would it only fit a 5.4. People bolt navigator heads on a 4.6 and the intake should bolt onto those heads, right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Intakes bolts to heads not blocks; as I know you are aware. So are you saying 5.4 Nav heads won't bolt to a 4.6 b/c if they do seems a 5.4 intake should bolt to those heads. I don't understand

·
Registered
630 Posts
The cobra r intake is made for the 5.4L DOHC. The 5.4L DOHC is a 90* V8, so when you have a block with more stroke, that makes the deck height taller and wider. The 5.4L intake would be too wide on a 4.6L and a 4.6L intake wouldn't be wide enough for a 5.4L. The 5.4L and 4.6L SOHC and DOHC heads fit both blocks provided you can match them with an intake (in most cases you can).- John

Sorry if it makes no sense, I haven't had any sleep in the last 24 hours...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes sense, and is a very good point. It might be possible to machine some sort of spacer that would line it up right. It would make this already tall intake even taller though, too bad they don't make aluminum 5.4 blocks or I would be all over that.

Pete

·
Registered
69 Posts
So although the heads can bolt to the block, they are spread to far apart to bolt the intake although the bolt pattern will match. I think thats what it boils down to.

Get some sleep and let me know later.

·
Registered
385 Posts
DSharp said:
So although the heads can bolt to the block, they are spread to far apart to bolt the intake although the bolt pattern will match. I think thats what it boils down to.
Kinda. On the 4.6, the heads are too close together and the 5.4 intake won't fit.

Darren

·
Registered
54 Posts
2000 Cobra R Intake

The Deck Height on the 5.4 DOHC is 10.0787" and the stroke is 4.165" while the 4.6 DOHC stroke is 3.552". That's a difference of 0.613" and equates to about 3 1/2 " across the vally head to head intake ports. So, you would have to streach the heads appart about 3 1/2 " on a 4.6 DOHC to make it fit. You just can't get one at Ford or any where else for that matter, I've tried for 3 years.

nmrapro50 :banggears

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
The Australian market Boss 290 engine uses basically the same intake and I am working on getting a part number now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am going back and forth with some guys on the AUS Ford forums, so I will share when I can get my hands on the info.

I thought I had it, but it turned out to be the 3-valve intake and not the 5.4 intake.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ausi Intake

If you can get the part number that's good, but you may need a vin # for a vehicle along with it to get the order through at Ford. That is what you need for many of the good parts at Ford. It's almost like Ford is cutting off supplies of good High Performance parts from the general public such the parts for the 2000 Cobra R.
When I spoke with SVT by phone the attitude was if you don't own one of the Cobra R Cars you can't get the parts. They said and I quote, " We are saving the parts for the buyers of our limited production vehicles from SVT such as the 2000 Cobra R", yet, Ford persist in saying they are promoting the Ford Performance Enthuses to improve their cars with Ford Parts.
The ideal thing would be to get an Ausi to get the intake and ship it to you. I'm going on the assumption the Ausi intake is pretty much a copy of the 2000 Cobra R Intake, if so I would like one for a new project I'm building, a 2001 F150 extended cab I'm calling a "Cobra R Lightning" 5.4 DOHC with a 3 stage nitrous system from Nitrous Express instead of a supercharger producing 1500 + HP on the street.
Thanks for the info. Please keep me informed, you can e-mail me at [email protected] .

nmrapro50:banggears

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a insider at Ford who helps me with “hard to find” parts and it seems several of the AUS spec items are coming out of Detroit, but I can’t confirm that the Boss 290 intake is housed there.

Sorry I don’t have more, but I will keep everyone up to date.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I E mailed the Aussie Ford Racing people, and they told me the same crap we get over here about the 00 Cobra R. You must own the Falcon Boss car, you have to prove your part is defective, and you must have a VIN number.

I doubt anyone will get one, and the way I see it - screw'um. If Ford wants to make it hard on us, and not make things available like for the old pushrod motors; they will just lose money to outside companies who will make parts for us. I'm going for a custom intake, and it will probably be much better than the Cobra R anyway. - John

1 - 20 of 34 Posts