Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm converting to a 3V head on my 1997-2003 Cobra/GT-hybrid-motor. What is the stock combustion chamber volume on the 3V? Hyland's book says 49.8cc's. Is that right? I see a lot of different values on the internet. Are all 2005+ 3V's the same chamber volume? Thanks. (BTW, mine just came back and they now flow 277 cfm at .500. Happy with that.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've seen 49.6 to 49.8 for stock 3v heads. The ford racing cnc ported 3v heads have a slightly larger volume at around 50.3 cc's. I would imagine big valve heads would be a little more.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen 49.6 to 49.8 for stock 3v heads. The ford racing cnc ported 3v heads have a slightly larger volume at around 50.3 cc's. I would imagine big valve heads would be a little more.
Thanks. I think mine had around 2cc's removed is all. Most of the big porting was done in the intake and exhaust runners.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well ...... If you want to be sure ....... get a pipette and a plexigalss plate, and measure them.

So you went with a Mamouth! Way cool! I have a KB 2.6 Stage 2, kinda thinking I should have gone with the Mamouth. (Although I am very happy with the 2.6 ...... It' a real kick in the pants!)

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Poppy, what dish piston are you going with in the shortblock for those 3v heads? Or is that what you're trying to decide.?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Poppy, what dish piston are you going with in the shortblock for those 3v heads? Or is that what you're trying to decide.?
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to decide. I think I'm going to go with the Diamond 30067. That's a 0.020 over 15cc dish piston. It should end me up right at 9.0:1. Using Oliver rods with ARP2000 hardware. I'm using a '97 Teksid aluminum Cobra block. I'm going to be running around 23psi boost and C16 gas, so I think we'll be fine with that. Didn't want to go any lower compression so I could still get some reasonable street behavior. I will drive with 91 street gas, but I don't get on it much on the street. Most of my driving is to and from the drag strip and the runs there. Its a toy. My goal is to break into the 9's by season's end with a power steering, air-conditioned car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts