Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our own little admin here just called me, and with a tune by Randy Haywood put down 680 RWHP in a street car!! LOL...he said at about 7500 rpms it was out of fuel. Randy had discussed the Speed pro with chad and said if it was on the car it would have pounded out more than 700. WOOHOOO...WAY TO GO CHAD AND RANDY!!!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
congrats, now that is what i wanted to hear. gives me hope on when i upgrade to a novi 2k.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fuel

Great numbers for Chad. Happy for ya man!

Ran out of fuel? Was the 55's at there limit?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Thanks guys, I will post tommorow in detail how everything went. I am extremely pleased with the results though to say the least. It is almost 1:30am and we just got in, so I am going to call it a night.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Now that I have had some sleep, I can give all the details of the dyno day and tuning with Randy Haywood.
As most of you know, I have been working with Chris Johnson of JMS on my car's tune and to let Randy re-tune this weekend has nothing to do with me not being pleased with JMS at all. I had igniiton problems and alot bigger pulley at JMS when I dynoed 587rwhp. I have since then repaired the cars ignition system and our dyno day was only 2 1/2 hours away vs the 6 hour trek over to JMS. It was a no brainer for me to run and let Randy have a chance at the tune up. I respect both tuners, and consider both friends. Anyway, to the good part.

Randy had reccomended I drop the dis-4 and go with the boost a spark,(gotta love Pete at PJ's for this, top notch service!!!) which I did. This repaired my problem 100%!! Upon test driving with the repaired ignition, I could tell my car was going way fat up top. It was billowing fuel smoke over 7000 rpms. I also removed the 3.33 pulley (13-14psi) and went with the 2.95 Reichard NO-SLIP and if I could use only one word to describe this pulley it would be awesome:cool: So to this point, the repaired ignition and pulley reccomendation came from Randy himslef, so it was his shot at tunning this nightmare of a car.

The first good pull on the dyno netted like 650rwhp which corrected was like 663. Yes the air was THAT bad. For most of the day the corrected numbers were higher than std but at some point were slightly under std. They stayed really close all day though. The car had a pretty decent curve up to about 7000 at which the FMU was killing it with fuel. Randy played with is some but never could really get it lean engough up top using a 4:1 FMU with a bleeder. The boost just comes on too strong up there. Randy then reccomend we plug the FMU and try tunning with more base pressure. We did and the results were 679rwhp and 485rwtq. Without the FMU the car was going dangerously lean over 7500. Randy tried dumping as much fuel as he could as well as pulling the base pressure up some more with no luck. This thing was just eating all the fuel it could get from the 55's. So what we ended up with is a super safe tune blow 7500 with great power. I am running 20° timing and the a/f is hovering there about 11.0:1 or so up to the point of going lean. This is somewhat fatter than the previous tune up and also less timing. What Randy has reccomended I do know is install a 3:1 disc in th FMU and put a inline restricter to help get the fuel where it needs to be up top. He also said that if we had the afternoon to play with it we could have gotten a solid 700rwhp out of it:shocked
I was really satisfied with what I had though and want to get some seat time before we try making any more. I think this is great power for 22psi. no cooler, no nitrous and conservative timing. Keep in mind, we never did a complete cooldown/icedown like most tuners do to get a good final numbers. These numbers were made with a hot engine and blower. I was as excited and pleased with my car yesterday as anyone could possibly imagine. Randy truely worked magic on my car and I owe him BIGTIME!! THANKS RANDY! If anyone has the chance again to let him tweak/tune on your car, you had better jump to it. He is THAT good. I am sure he can chime in and tell you more about what I just tried to explain than I can, so maybe he will LOL

Chad (kicking butt with a Vortech) Brooks

·
Registered
332 Posts
once again congrats, i cant wait to get the bigger novi on mine.

where did the torque peak?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My torque peaked arond 7200-7300, which is right there with the HP and at an RPM I can use it. The torque climbs steady and is pretty flat from 6500-7600. Thanks again guys, these results have been a long time comming and I have worked my butt off to get here.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sweet numbers Chad!!!!

Now I really cant wait to get home and Dyno mine. Might take it down to Randy as well.

Glad to hear the Boost A Spark worked well. I am gonna go with it as well.

I hope your not running 4VPA this year!!! I wanna at least have a chance :D

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Great numbers Chad! Sounds like you have quite the beast on your hands. I would assume by the VP 116 that you are not running 02 sensors on your car?

Razor.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Chad,
I see you said it made 22 psi. How much timing were you running? Just curious. You think Randy would be interested in tuning mine? I've tried calling down there and left messages a few times, but no return phone calls.??? who knows???
I'm sure he is busy. maybe he'll chime in.

Steve

P.S. Congrats and thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Steve, Randy will gladly tune your car. He is not with True Blue anymore though. You can PM him here on the board, he is 7secmod. I was running 20° timing. Thanks for the compliments!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Chad,
is your mass air calibrated for your 55# injectors? or was the transfer curve adjusted in the eec to compensate for the larger injectors when you added them?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yes the MAF sensor was re-cal'd to the 55's. As far as what Randy did inside the chip I am unsure. My next step will be to remove the MAF sensor and stock computer all together. The control I need on this engine has reached a point beyond where I feel safe with what I have. Atleast that is my thought.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts