Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched a while today -- decided to give in and ask you guys who have the experience and knowledge.

Because two of us pay to drive my car when we take it to the strip, we are running it more frequently than normal.
Questions:
1. Does it even matter for a near-stock Cobra with around
400 rwhp? Does the intercooler normalize the air temp within reason?

2. Assuming that it does matter, what is the best low-tech, low-bucks way to have the engine as cool as possible for the next run?

2a. The hood is up. That makes sense to me -- assuming the desert sun is not beating down on the engine bay.

2b. Some folks are pushing the car along the path to the starting line, engine off. Would it be better to have the cooling fluids circulating? (near-stock ...)

2c. Many have ice wrapped in plastic and then wrapped in a towel sitting on various parts underneath the open hood. (some of the places the ice is sitting make NO sense to me...) Others come by and say 'DON"T DO THAT, you will (fill in the blank -- all the way from crack your supercharger casing , cause global warming, or put your eye out...).

2d. Some recommend second gear burnouts to keep from engaging the boost (if you have a tire that responds to being heated...)

Comments? Other simple considerations for us who drive the near-stock cars?
JW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
m
I was hoping you had gone to sleep.
I actually thought, "an intelligent response -- so quickly!"
No such luck...
JW

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
All I know is, at the dyno, after I iced the plenum area and the supercharger I made 15 more hp and 10 more lbs of torque. That could translate to 1-2 mph and 1-2 tenths!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had folks strongly warn me against icing there. I was also picking up an additional 12 HP at the dyno icing there. The warnings varied but generally had to do with having cold metal coming in contact with internally rotating hot metal. (Not trying to state that case, just repeating the 'emphatic' warnings I have received).

Does anyone have more info about risk of icing?

sambandit said:
All I know is, at the dyno, after I iced the plenum area and the supercharger I made 15 more hp and 10 more lbs of torque. That could translate to 1-2 mph and 1-2 tenths!

·
Registered
374 Posts
the usual reason is that the s/c will cool from the outside in and the casing will come down and cause impellor lock

m.

·
Registered
42 Posts
you should look into a set of heat exchanger fans....I got mine for $229....you can keep the cooler cycling when the car is off even....ver nice piece of mind for a frequent visitor to the [email protected] says it makes the car much more consistant....the exchanger on our cars does not start working till the car is moving about 60mph or so....I will try them soon and tell if there is a big difference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good input.

Keep us posted.

Any other straightforward ideas out there?

Any facts on possible problems caused by icing?

JW

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does anybody have specs showing that the rotors are within a few thousandths of the case? I just don't see it, know of many who practice this and never heard of it happening. I would be more worried about total rpm if I had a pulley mod.

$.02

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Give the old guy a break, eh?

·
Registered
374 Posts
oh come on....give you a break? how about a head start?

especially with all the extra weight i took of my car this weekend. those gashes in the hood should definitely increase the speed :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Missed you at FAMOSO this weekend. All in all --- excepting the momentary concern about M's crash, and when we saw he lived, we all went about our business --- it was a lot of fun, and a lot of pulls on the track. Adam enjoyed the autocross. It got too complicated for us both to be dragging and autocrossing so we split it up and ran the car back and forth.
Need two cars...
James

03_Sonic_Blur said:
Also, I think James is looking for a handicap for the kid. James cools before his run, kid gets hot potato, dad doesn't get beat so badly. It's a possibility:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks -- just that one little problem with my consistancy.
SSSSnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz at the starting line.
I sent you two PMs doe dee doe doe ha ha
JW

·
Registered
229 Posts
jhwalker said:
Missed you at FAMOSO this weekend. All in all --- excepting the momentary concern about M's crash, and when we saw he lived, we all went about our business --- it was a lot of fun, and a lot of pulls on the track. Adam enjoyed the autocross. It got too complicated for us both to be dragging and autocrossing so we split it up and ran the car back and forth.
Need two cars...
James
Maoun crashed? Details, pics?

I had an obligation I had to fulfill. Wanted to be there in the worst way, I bought the Nitto's and have gone drag racing twice since!

I still think we need our own private track day. When I get back from vacation, I'll start putting one together.

Marwane, hope you're okay!

John

·
Registered
374 Posts
check out my post CRASH on svtperformance..... :-( and guess what, just got into another accident not an hour ago in a different car.....some shmuck turned rite into me

not my week, eh?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We are now officiallly worried about you.
Take care,
JW TW and AW

maoun said:
check out my post CRASH on svtperformance..... :-( and guess what, just got into another accident not an hour ago in a different car.....some shmuck turned rite into me

not my week, eh?

·
Registered
385 Posts
03_Sonic_Blur said:
I still think we need our own private track day. When I get back from vacation, I'll start putting one together.
Can I bring the slow 96 GT too?:p

maoun said:

not my week, eh?
I feel your pain bro:( Some unisured focker did the same to me last Sunday. Then he shook before the cops came:mad:

The day after I broke into the 12s too!

Darren

1 - 20 of 36 Posts