Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corvette beats 03 ( new Motor Trend)

I am not sure if anyone has read this yet, but boy is it going give those Corvette guys something to talk about. The good thing for us is that will think they can win, which leaves more kills for us. Atleast they could have put us up against a Z06.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mistake !

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
chillfactor said:
Corvette beats 03 ( new Motor Trend)

I am not sure if anyone has read this yet, but boy is it going give those Corvette guys something to talk about. The good thing for us is that will think they can win, which leaves more kills for us. Atleast they could have put us up against a Z06.
Cmon, spill the beans, what are some of the specifics? What was the price of the 2 cars tested? My guess would be if we put an additional 10k into the cobra's to get us to the same price as the vette we would eat them alive.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
We all know that stock-for-stock, the Z06 edges out the 03 Cobra. That's OK because those girlie vette owners pay a HUGE chunk of change more than we do in the first place.

But what most of them don't realize is that Ford INTENTIONALLY de-tuned the hell out of these cars in order to pass emissions, safety and all that BS.

Then we do a couple of VERY MINOR mods. I wouldn't even call them mods really - I'd call it waking up the sleeping beast so that it can be what it was meant to be. It's almost like Ford gave us a set of instructions on what to do!

Yep, it's easy to wake the 03 Cobra up with a couple of mods. Then the stock Z06 may as well be a Chevette.

Yeah, there's really fast Z06's out there. But what do they have invested in car and mods? Enough for 2 03 Cobras.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the MT issue.
They compared the convertibles against each other.
I'll skip the non-essential stuff and list the performance figures.

03 Cobra Vette
1/4 1/4
[email protected] [email protected]

0-60

4.86 4.72

Strange that the Cobra was pulling on the Vette after 60 mph.

The handling measure is surprising....the Vette wins by 2.3mph on the slalom. Bear in mind the Convertible Cobra uses softer suspension settings versus its hardtop breathen.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 speed...................Cobra: 390 hp
3780 lbs
$38,170.00
6 speed.................Vette: 350 hp
3248 lbs
$56,265.00:vomit:

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
chillfactor said:
6 speed...................Cobra: 390 hp
3780 lbs
$38,170.00
6 speed.................Vette: 350 hp
3248 lbs
$56,265.00:vomit:
56k is the price of the Z06 but it has 400+ hp, was that the Z06 then? I thought the standard coupe has 350hp and should be around 45k.

G

·
Guys...go to their site and send emails...this is total bullshit.....

I just dont get it.

Do they make a Z06 in a Vert?

Harry

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
So let me get this straight:

They tested a Z06 coupe against a 03 Cobra vert?

If that is the case then there's some politics working there. The 03 Cobra vert is an awesome car but is heavier and flexes more in the chassis so will not run quite as fast as the coupe in stock trim.

Sounds like they WANTED the Z06 to win. And, judging by how close the numbers were, the coupe would have won.

Additionally, who was driving the 03 Cobra? Cause I have seen bone stock cars run faster than that!

It's a big pile of steaming cow dung!

BLOW ME, MOTOR TREND!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
HAMMER said:
So let me get this straight:

They tested a Z06 coupe against a 03 Cobra vert?

If that is the case then there's some politics working there. The 03 Cobra vert is an awesome car but is heavier and flexes more in the chassis so will not run quite as fast as the coupe in stock trim.

Sounds like they WANTED the Z06 to win. And, judging by how close the numbers were, the coupe would have won.

Additionally, who was driving the 03 Cobra? Cause I have seen bone stock cars run faster than that!

It's a big pile of steaming cow dung!

BLOW ME, MOTOR TREND!!
It wasn't a z6. It was a vert.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Isn't MotorTrend the same rag that chose the Mazda MX8 and the Nissan 350Z over the 03 Cobra coupe in a sports car shoot out?

They don't like any Mustangs...:mad:

Darren

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
for some reason in this country..it is acceptable for a much higher priced car to be better...but unnacceptable for a lower priced car to be marginally worse....not that the 03 cobra is worse...but my friend just paid 39 k for a 350 z....and the base vettes cost 39 k.....and the 03 cobra outperforms them both in performance....yet they pick apart the little things...ford didnt have time for the little things..the 03 cobra is a wonderful handler...and a very detuned high performance car....i think the world needs to get over its ford snobberry(made that word up).. i think the likes of motor trend needs to get over the fact that the cobra has a cheaper interior..for crying out loud the cobra undercut that vette in price by 15 grand....doesnt that account for something....i mean..that same mag tested the 03 cobra against the likes of a maseratti coupe and a a bmw m3 ..and even though it out performed them for half the price of one..1/3 the price of the other...they couldnt get over the fact that...it wasnt comfortable enough...quit your whining and buy 30k seats....i mean..what is their problem?? maybe one day..those people..will start reading mags such as chevy high performance, super street, and muscle mustangs and fast fords..and remember what its like to get a deal..a steal from the factory..rather than getting raped and having to come up with excuses as to why their car costs so much more for a little difference in performance..and i think my sister can get better quarter mile times than those...pussies

1 - 20 of 29 Posts