Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,

sorry for taking so long to get back to the forum. Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my Coyote project for you. Here's a couple of the old 1970 XW Ford Falcon that is about to get a huge make over.

A pic of the old power plant

This is what will be taking it's place. F150 Coyote & 6R80 Auto

- - - Updated - - -

The XW has know been stripped out ready to be dipped to have all the paint removed and halt the rusting process

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked up the shell and returned to the work shop. Really happy we chose to have the car dipped apart from the rust sections the shell looks like new again

- - - Updated - - -

The new front end has been unpacked and assembled. The shock towers and inner guards will be removed to make room for the massively wide Coyote engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some more progress. Nearly ready for the front end.

Front End clamped into position.

- - - Updated - - -

Making room for the 6R80 Auto. Heaps of metal has been removed.

Some extra tubing has been added to help support the tranny and add some strength to the car body.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coyote & trans suspended in place.

looks like it was meant to be there I think. We're also going to squeeze a pair of GTX3076R turbo's in there as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is going to be an amazing ride when you're done. Can't wait to see how this project comes along. What type of front suspension is that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front end is made over here by a company call RodTech. Coil Over adjustable shock with rack & pinion steering. Very nice piece of gear and well made. Should be a big improvement with the handling. But the main reason was so that I could remove the shock towers to make room for the coyote engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The only real issue we've en counted so far with the conversion is with the steering arm and starter motor clearance. The coyote being designed for a left hand drive and our vehicles are right hand drive. To solve the problem we dropped the engine as low as we could and moved the engine back as close to the fire wall as possible.

We will have to tidy up some harness and pipes on the back of the engine or make some mods to the fire wall to give us a little more clearance but the end result is we now have the clearance we required.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If some Mods want to move this thread to another section I would be happy to continue with build updates if anyone is interested

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to the Mods for moving this to the right section and thanks to the amount of members on the forum who have viewed the posts and are interested in my project.

I will endeavour to keep everyone up to date with pics and progress

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The trans tunnel will need to be completely remodelled to make room for the drive shaft from 6R80 to diff. Man that auto is a huge sucker.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While we are waiting for my wheels to come we borrowed some from a 1969 Mustang for a bit of a mock up so we can see the stance of the car on the road.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has taken 5 months to finally get them but these are the wheels that will be going on the car when it's finished

- - - Updated - - -

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think I should explain my vision for this build.

What I'm trying to achieve is keep as much of the cars original DNA as possible but give it a modern day presence by running large diameter wheels super low stance use modern brakes and running gear. There will be no scoops the shell will essentially retain its original lines with a stunning custom paint job colour of True Blue Pearl. The interior will also keep it's original appearance where ever possible.

Under the hood will be anything but original. Sitting in the engine bay will be the Ford Coyote and 6R80 transmission. The Coyote will have a pair of custom built Garrett GTX3076R using a combination of Borg Warner Extended Tip Billet wheels and custom Garrett housings.

I still want the engine to have that old school look so I've been talking to an engine work shop with a CNC machine and we've came up with a design.

I hope this brief description will help you understand what I'm trying to achieve. I think if you look at the original image of the car we started with to where we are heading now you like what we're trying to build.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's some pics of the finished Cam Covers. The pics don't really do these fully CNC'd billet covers justice because they are covered with WD40.

I hope you like them. I think I'll leave them in there current natural finish.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Beautiful man! I suspect there might be a few drools over your cam covers. My sweetie was looking over my shoulder and you got a thumbs up on those.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, glad you and your sweetie like them. They won't be fitted to the engine until everything is done and the engine goes back in for the last lime. I'm really looking forward to that day.

·
Administrator
9,338 Posts
Way cool valve covers there XWCoyote!!

Billet pieces like that usually break the bank. You might just find a interested market for those depending on how expensive it is to build ship and export them. Very nice look.

Ed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, They we'rent cheap that's for sure but now the modelling is done and the machine hours are known a price could be worked out.

The Aussie dollar is way down against the Green Back which works in your favour as well. When I looked at what's available for the Coyote from some companies these are a bargain. I priced some push in inserts like Ford Racing ones made out of billet and those cost almost as much as my full billet covers.

I'm enjoying the thought that as far as I know, these are the only custom fully CNC'd billet alloy covers for the Coyote that offer full factory functionality in the world.

i searched the net for 8 months to try and find something like these and nothing even comes close. So I chose to have some made for my project.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts