Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it’s a super common swap to replace a S197 Mustang 3V with a Coyote motor, but was wondering if anyone knew what it would take to swap a Coyote into a 2010 Explorer 3V? Are the Explorers and Mustangs 3V similar enough that the swap would be easy. It is a 4x4 so not sure if that would cause issues. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
Josh,

The engine block's motor mounting bosses visually appear to be at least similar if not the same which obviously means easy engine mounting in the chassis. I would still grab an OEM mount and compare attach points on the two blocks but they at least appear to be the same.

I am not sure what to do about the ECU. The explorer ECU is built to support the vehicle dash and the original 3V. You could leave the original ECU in and use an MS3Pro or other aftermarket ECU to run the Coyote. The rest of the powertrain should bolt up. Increasingly the aftermarket stuff can do both the engine and the trans which means the transmission control could be layered onto the list of things the aftermarket ECU has to do.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
That's the way most of us have done these acquisitions in the past, Josh. The triggering metric is the price of the wrecked vehicle and the demand for the remaining useable parts in the vehicle. The current economy and other current marketplace dynamics specific to where you live can tip the scales, sometimes against you, so be circumspect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts