Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Here's an FYI for anyone thinking of using CPR aftermarket fuel rails on your '03 Cobra.....don't bother.

I bought these directly from the company via Ebay. It is claimed that they are supposed to work on '99-'03 Cobras. These ARE NOT a bolt-on modification. Here's what it took to make them work:

1. 4 hours (mostly setup) of additional machine work to mill 0.400" off both ends of the passenger side fuel rail and the rear of the driver's side fuel rail. Once the ends were shortened, they needed to be counterbored and tapped for the 3/4-16 fittings. This was done on a CNC bridgeport that we have in our shop. This NEEDS to be done so that the fittings don't come in contact with the front coolant crossover tube and the EGR tube at the driver's side rear.

2. Slot the mounting tabs in order to allow the rails seat far down enough so that the injectors don't slide up and down enough to allow the top o-ring to pop out.

3. Cut about 0.75" off the front end of the solenoid mounting bracket on the driver's side of the supercharger. This is necessary because of the poor placement of the FRP sensor.

4. Chamfer the orifice that the FRP sensor get's inserted into.

So, after many hours of work, the rails are on. They don't leak thank god. If you don't have access to a machine shop don't bother with this product. The concept is a good one but as far as I'm concerned, the implementation is poor. It's going to take a little more R&D and the tweaking of some dimensions, as well as better quality control to produce a set of returnless fuel rails that will work "out of the box" on the '03 Cobras.

My $.02,

MJ

P.S. for pics see: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...&threadid=54665

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Dougie @ Billetflow has some. If you don't have a KB, they fit.

gary

·
Registered
511 Posts
That sucks that you had to go thru all that but you may want to share what needed to be done with CPR so thy can make the necessary changes.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ayrton said:
That sucks that you had to go thru all that but you may want to share what needed to be done with CPR so thy can make the necessary changes.
I emailed them today with my suggestions. I also offered our car as a test platform to help get the fitment down. We'll see if they chose to take advantage of the offer. The only thing I asked for in return is when the job is done, they take the rails that i had to modify and give me a final set of production rails.

MJ

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SVTyballz said:
Dougie @ Billetflow has some. If you don't have a KB, they fit.

gary
BF makes returnless fuel rails? Shit, if I had know that I would've definitely bought them from doug. Who carries these? How much?

MJ

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BilletFlow said:
they are still in testing
How about a sneak peak?

MJ

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BilletFlow said:
hanging on the wall right next to the fluidyne
Hey Doug,

Returnless or return-style? I don't see a mounting flange for the FRP sensor......then again that picture ain't no real eye candy. :D

MJ

·
Registered
482 Posts
That would be GREAT to have a set made that actually fit.

CPR is junk.

PHP makes a set, but I'm not sure how they fit - but at the price, they better come and install them too.

For info on CPR, please read my write up on my website. You'll be happy you did. Over 2,000 people have already hit that one page....hopefully I saved each and every one of them the headaches and lies I was put through.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
103 Posts
PHP rails are probably made by CPR. I had a set of rails for a 5.0 that fit like shit and leaked. If you want a good fuel rail try Wilson Manifolds, they are custom built for your intake. I will be using them on my Real Street car.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thomas Doll said:
PHP rails are probably made by CPR. I had a set of rails for a 5.0 that fit like shit and leaked. If you want a good fuel rail try Wilson Manifolds, they are custom built for your intake. I will be using them on my Real Street car.
It took me trying three sets of CPR rails to get a set that worked without problem. My driver's side rail still fits like shit (tabs welded on at wrong angle). CPR's customer service sucks as well. I'll never use another one of their products.

MJ

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Thomas Doll said:
That is very interesting as I am fairly sure they are only 20 minutes from my house in Ft. Lauderdale. I need rails so I guess I should contact them and see what they can do.

·
Registered
927 Posts
toofast4u said:
That is very interesting as I am fairly sure they are only 20 minutes from my house in Ft. Lauderdale. I need rails so I guess I should contact them and see what they can do.
I would definatley not go with CPR rails. I myself just got a set about a month ago and am no still having huge problems with them!!! They fixed some of the fitment issues (mainly just the front and back of the rails where they were too long) The FRPS still isn't even close to right. It goes on without leaking but then your entire vacuum setup that bolts to the driver side of the blower will be a huge cluster **** considering it won't bolt back on because of the FRPS being directly in the way. Plus they still haven't fixed the problem with the slots where the rail bolts to the lower intake. I have had 3 O-rings push out already and 2 of them came out looking brand new (no squishing, or tears, nothing) So which means i am going to have to grind into the slot to get the rails to sit down farther. Hopefully that will fix it. These are certainly not worth the $379 that i paided for them. Just a shitty product if you ask me. I wish i would have known about other rails that would have fit better but i had/have not seen any writeups.

Plus did it irritate anyone else that first off you don't get a crossover tube or lines at all. If you want there crossover tube (which is basically just bent tiny metal fuel line) it is $220 which is just astinine!!! Plus they give you a crappy fitting that doesn't have a place to tap into for anything. To order the fitting with this it's an extra $40. Which once i got it i realized it was literally the exact same fitting that had been drilled and tapped (duh i could have done that)

Ryan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts