Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Old and Wise(guy)
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Borrowed some technology from the GM guys and put together a crankcase evacuation system. The vacuum pump is an electric air injection pump used on many late 90s GM cars, it's plumbed into the cam cover, and on to a catch can. Had an adapter welded to the driver's side cam cover nipple so an oil separator/breather could be screwed on, plumbed a pcv valve on the other cam cover nipple and on to the catch can. Racetronix makes a plug and play fused/relayed wiring harness, it also includes an adjustable Hobbs switch to turn on the electric pump at 3-7 lbs. of boost. Reducing crankcase pressure produces 20-30 hp on GM engines, hopefully it will do as well on my built 4.6. I'll be installing the wiring harness tomorrow and will get the car dynoed later this week. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
So how does this produce more horsepower?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's a good idea improving the PCV, but please elaborate how this will help the motor make more power??

·
Registered
940 Posts
Basically you are looking for better ring seal, as opposed to running straight breathers or a catch can. My questions would be is this pump sufficient for a FI setup (how do you deternime if it is a restriction and not causing excess pressure to build in the cylinders), and why not run it all the time as opposed to just under WOT. I would love to see a dyno number against open breathers as well to see if any additional ring seal is helping power at WOT.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Its a GM part, so essentially its working as designed....

·
Old and Wise(guy)
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The vendor told me to put in a bigger fuse!

Been raining here all day, I'll test drive it again tomorrow.
Replaced the 20 amp fuse with a 25, that did the trick. Unfortunately I won't be able to get it dynoed for a couple of weeks, going on vacation tomorrow.

·
Old and Wise(guy)
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basically you are looking for better ring seal, as opposed to running straight breathers or a catch can. My questions would be is this pump sufficient for a FI setup (how do you deternime if it is a restriction and not causing excess pressure to build in the cylinders), and why not run it all the time as opposed to just under WOT. I would love to see a dyno number against open breathers as well to see if any additional ring seal is helping power at WOT.
The pump won't last if it runs all the time according to the GM guys.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Enhanced Design Racing Vacuum Pump
Moroso 4-Vane vacuum pump​

The nature of a vacuum pump is to remove, air, blow-by gasses and other contaminants from the crankcase of an engine. The vacuum pumps ability to remove the air in the crankcase results in overall engine vacuum. Vacuum will increase horsepower by allowing the use of low-tension compression and oil control rings. In which the use of reduces frictional horsepower losses, blow-by, intake charge contamination and aids in detonation prevention. Moroso's "purpose built" racing pumps offer all these advantages and more. Whether you have a normally aspirated nitrous equipped, turbo, and supercharged.

• Enhanced Design pulls 13.9% more vacuum
  • Can be used efficiently on wet or dry-sump engines
  • Achieves greater vacuum sooner
  • 4-Vane Design weighs less than "original" style pumps
  • Virtually maintenance free
  • Kit includes versatile mounting bracket and -12AN fittings
  • Designed with maintenance-free precision sealed roller bearings
Moroso 4-Vane vacuum pump Application / Description
  • Moroso Vacuum Pump Kit
    Universal Application
  • includes, bracket,-12AN fittings
    P/N SLPM30002 $ ---.--

• Moroso Vacuum Pump Kit
    Universal Application
    P/N SLPM30002 $ ---.--

• Moroso Vacuum Pump Kit
    Universal Application
    P/N SLPM30002 $ ---.--

• Moroso Vacuum Pump Kit
    Universal Application
    P/N SLPM30002 $ ---.--

I asked about this a while ago and got no replies. the s2000 comes stock with a vacuum pump it must work somewhat after all you can't get much more efficient than a s2000's engine.

Andrew

·
Old and Wise(guy)
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone done any tests between open breathers, and pumped system? Any dyno #s?
I had my car dynoed a few weeks ago with both breathers plumbed to a catch can like the one shown below. When I get my car dynoed again in a couple of weeks, it will be with the crankcase evac system I installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I really dont know the answer I know it expells a lot under FI. But I dont know if that happens after you let go of the throttle and the psi on the intake tube lowers while the crank still has some residual psi. I dont think so because if anything it would also push back while it is boosting dunno thats a good question. Probably someone else will chime in.

Andrew

·
Old and Wise(guy)
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the three types of pumps Racetronix makes wiring harnesses for:

http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX-CEPH/RX-CEPH.html

The pump I used is one of the 3 wire types, it's a GM 24505066. Like I said, I got a good deal on it and it is new. The Ford pump is MOTORCRAFT Part # CX1567 I don't know if it will connect to the Racetronix harness. It looks very similiar to the two wire GM pumps.

There is a bit of modding required to use these pumps for this application, I didn't take any pictures so I borrowed these from the turbobuick forums. Here's how I did it:
Open the tall side of the pump housing, this is a pita. I used a box cutter and a hammer to break the seal. No need to open the ribbed side of the housing.
Remove all the foam.
Cut and cap the wires going to solenoid.
Remove the solenoid by cutting the tabs holding it on with a Dremel, no need to remove the disk on the top of the solenoid.
Reinstall pump housing using RTV.

The two wire pumps do not have a solenoid but still contain foam which must be removed. There are plenty of used pumps on ebay, you should be able to pick one up for under $30. Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Co...spagenameZWDVW
Try and get one with all the hose elbows and rubber mounts, they'll make the install go easier.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.