Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed Crower to see if they had come out w/ their 4 valve spring kit. As probably many of you know by now, they have. This is what he returned:

$815 for the spring/titanium retainer kit. In stock.

Does anybody know more about this setup. Has anyone used it. Any word on the street?

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
914 Posts
who told you this? is this confirmed from an outside source. do u think modmax would tell u otherwise?

modmax had tons of problems on 2vs

·
Registered
630 Posts
ttt

Keep us up to date on the Crower stuff. I'd like to see pictures of the kit. See if they will e mail you more info with pictures to post here. - John

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got my crower valvespring kit for my car yesterday. These are not the same thing as the modmax springs. To save a little money I got the steel retainers versus the titanium that they also sell. Crower told me the valvetrain would be good to 8800, but honestly I have no desire to go much past 8200. The springs are allready mailed off to Charles Rodgers to finish assembling my ported heads or I would have snapped a few pictures. I can tell you the specs on the springs though.

At installed height the springs have roughly 80pounds and at full lift they have about 230pounds. The tech at crowler told me not to go much over .480 lift on the cams. I went with one of Houston Performances new billet cams and kept the lift just under .480

Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most of the problems w/ modmax springs were due to the Erson regrinds that alot of people were getting at the time.....I don't remeber hearing about any problems w/ billets that have the same base circle as stock cams.....could be wrong though.

I've had a set (2v springs) for over a year and 47k miles on '99 cams w/ no problems yet, hopefully!

SJ

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is getting pretty interesting. It sounds like from ViperRed96GT this is a pretty stout kit. I'll see if I can't get some more info from Crower.

Later,
Ashley

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will spin my SHM built heads just past 8500 rpms without worry.
Never heard of these breaking, have you?
Cost a bit more but have peace of mind!

·
Registered
179 Posts
SNK BITN said:
Only the earlier versions were known to break cuase of QC problems.
I keep buyin em and they keep breakin.......and it aint improper set up.

LOOkin to buy the crane beehives w/ stock retainers and keepers or the crower or SHM........

Modmax hasnt been helpfull to me....wont warranty their stuff.

·
Registered
179 Posts
quadcammer said:
dammit, i need springs from somewhere and fast.
There are guys runin less than .480 lift on stock valvetrain with no problems unless your plannin on runnin a crazy setup go with stock. The only reason someone needs the higher spring rates is if they have a blower or turbo to help close the valves under boost.

·
Registered
630 Posts
360 Notch said:
I keep buyin em and they keep breakin.......and it aint improper set up.

LOOkin to buy the crane beehives w/ stock retainers and keepers or the crower or SHM........

Modmax hasnt been helpfull to me....wont warranty their stuff.
Who assembles your heads? A lot of people with regrinds have been breaking those ModMax springs. I have no idea why myself, but I'm almost too afraid to use my ModMax DOHC spring kit after hearing so many horror stories about them breaking.

Boss 330/Al Papitto is running them, he built a few heads for other drag cars with them and claims they are top quality. Like I said, I don't know myself.

My ModMax kit below.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive gotten a super tight clearanced valve job, had them grind the valves to the same length, and check the keepers, retainers, and lifters and lash.......My initial problem was a sloppy valve job.

Now its springs that cant take the cam and high rpm.
If modmax wont warranty a high performance spring in a car thats got a stock rev limit and complete precision set up.....um you can take a chance...

·
Registered
630 Posts
360 Notch said:
Ive gotten a super tight clearanced valve job, had them grind the valves to the same length, and check the keepers, retainers, and lifters and lash.......My initial problem was a sloppy valve job.

Now its springs that cant take the cam and high rpm.
If modmax wont warranty a high performance spring in a car thats got a stock rev limit and complete precision set up.....um you can take a chance...
Not sure I want to take the chance. I'll see what TEA in KY says about them when I take the heads up there for assembly. If they say don't use them, then I'll order another brand of springs that they recommend - John

·
Registered
630 Posts
360 Notch said:
Think im goin after the 5th street rocker arms.....any one know the price....I think the owners/sellers are on this board.
Check out user name RHracing posts in the 4v head tech thread. He has some rockers and lifters coming out in 3 weeks. - John

1 - 20 of 160 Posts