Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 2000 gt at 89,000 miles has a bad rod bearing. Im really not in a posistion financially to build a motor. I notice that vic motors are alot cheaper in junkyards. I was wondering If I can use one of these in my car. I also need to know what year I need to look for. Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you're going for a Crown Vic motor, go for one that is from a 2001 model year or newer to make sure you get the PI motor.

The big difference is that the air intake is on the driver's side on a Vic, so you'll need the air intake parts from your current motor. Everything else should be the same motor-wise.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
best bet would be the 01 or newer.. they are romeo PI engines not Windsors like your mustang..... You may only need a flywheel change if your a manual trans, and the belt runs different,... then swap everything from the mustang engine...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mustangs have romeo also, its what I have. But i just put a hole in my #2 cylinder and Im putting in a PI Windsor aluminum block this week end!

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
56 Posts
On my buddys roush we put in an interceptor engine and the only thing's different are intake,flywheel, and on the engine we got we had to change the oil cooler/oil filter bracket and in the engine valley it only has 1 knock sensor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
so my 2000 gt at 89,000 miles has a bad rod bearing. Im really not in a posistion financially to build a motor. I notice that vic motors are alot cheaper in junkyards. I was wondering If I can use one of these in my car. I also need to know what year I need to look for. Thanks.
I used an 05' Grand Marquis 2V I got for $600 with 14k miles on it.
Parts I had to swap over from my old motor:
-Upper intake elbow and TB
-Oil Filter housing/lower radiator outlet
-Fuel rails and injectors
-Exhuast manifolds
-Motor mounts

Any 99-up 4.6L 2V (Truck, van, SUV, granny car, mustang) will almost be a direct replacement meaning you may have to swap a couple parts from your old motor. Winsors have an 8 bolt crank and Romeos have a 6 bolt. If you can't figure out which one you're looking at count the cam cover bolts. I chose an 03-up motor for the revised spark plug threads (8 threads vs. 4 threads.) I believe some 4.6L Explorers had aluminum blocks so that would be some free weight savings there. I'd suggest searching here that's how I found mine...http://car-part.com/

·
Registered
683 Posts
+1 I would get an Explorer engine 02 and up have an aluminum block. I think in 06 they went to 3v heads, but I'm unsure. They are expensive.

I bought a Salvaged Mark 8 4V teksid for $450 shipped. I used my old PI heads on the block. I of course spent the extra and built the motor with forged internals.

I don't see why you couldn't replace your rod bearing if it didn't score the crank?

·
Registered
52 Posts
-Exhuast manifolds
-Motor mounts

Any 99-up 4.6L 2V (Truck, van, SUV, granny car, mustang) will almost be a direct replacement meaning you may have to swap a couple parts from your old motor. Winsors have an 8 bolt crank and Romeos have a 6 bolt. If you can't figure out which one you're looking at count the cam cover bolts. I chose an 03-up motor for the revised spark plug threads (8 threads vs. 4 threads.) I believe some 4.6L Explorers had aluminum blocks so that would be some free weight savings there. I'd suggest searching here that's how I found mine...http://car-part.com/
This is a great website. if you have a manual mustang, could you buy any +02 explorer engine and drop it in?

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bypass line through valley?

I too am considering this swap (2004 GM donor). What did everybody do about the heater hard line from the water pump through the engine valley? It connects to the back of the left hand head on the Mustang. From the pictures, it looks like it connects to the right hand head on the CV/GM/Town car.

Did you have to swap the hard line from the original motor?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yup, I lubed the O-rings and popped the Mustang tube on. You'll see it's very easy to see the minor differences in the parts it's all simple stuff. It is also a good time to do any painting you wanna do, just make sure you put some tape or something to protect the back of the passenger valve cover or else the lower heater hose swage will F-up your valve cover paint when you stab the motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
-Exhuast manifolds
-Motor mounts

hopefully you answer. But I’m planning on getting a crown vic engine and swap it to my mustang since my engine doesn’t work.Mine it’s a manual. So I would need to change the flywheel righ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts