Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since noone posted any info on this in the 99-01 section maybe you guys can help.

So i have done some searching about it and i read alot of 03 04 cobra guys cut their springs 3/4 to 1 full coil and like it pretty well. I was just wondering how much to cut on a 99 since the spring rate is different (front 500 rear 475). I just havent heard how much the 99-01 guys have cut. Any pics would be welcome and helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Umm easy .. dont cut them and sped 300 bucks on springs that are designed to lower your car ... Just my .02

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Umm easy .. dont cut them and sped 300 bucks on springs that are designed to lower your car ... Just my .02
I'll keep my 300 bux and go buy some ricer carbon fiber pieces....meanwhile I'll keep 60ft'n in the low 1.5's with cut stock springs........

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Stock cut springs work GREAT on these cars. For your 99/01, I would go middle of the road, and spend a little bit of money on stock 03/04 Cobra Coupe springs.

Then you also need to decide whether or not you want to keep your isolators in, or not.

Just my .02

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'll keep my 300 bux and go buy some ricer carbon fiber pieces....meanwhile I'll keep 60ft'n in the low 1.5's with cut stock springs........
muhahhahhahaha ill take the 300 and have a nice steak dinner!!! o and 60' 1.6 on f1's

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok were gettin off topic about the 300 bucks lol, although funny, but im gonna cut my springs cause im 20 and in college so money is hard pressed to find especially after just puttin in 31 splines, new lsd, 4.10, and mgw. So broke 7 how much can i cut, i also plan to add air bags in them to up the spring rate some and help reduce wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
ok were gettin off topic about the 300 bucks lol, although funny, but im gonna cut my springs cause im 20 and in college so money is hard pressed to find especially after just puttin in 31 splines, new lsd, 4.10, and mgw. So broke 7 how much can i cut, i also plan to add air bags in them to up the spring rate some and help reduce wheel hop.
Springs wont solve wheelhop, wheelhop is loss of traction. How big of tire do you plan on running, if your gonna run a 28" Tall tire I wouldnt go more than 1/2 - 3/4 coil.....

This is what lil more than a half looks like with a 26 Tall tire

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks broke7. I do understand that springs wont help eliminate wheel hop although i didnt make that clear i my previous statement, but many have said with the addition of their air bags in the rear springs does help to reduce it. So by the way it looks just over half a coil would be a good place to start on my 99.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Springs wont solve wheelhop, wheelhop is loss of traction. How big of tire do you plan on running, if your gonna run a 28" Tall tire I wouldnt go more than 1/2 - 3/4 coil.....

Hey Allen, aren't our springs linear and it won't make any difference in the spring rate when cut. Pre 03 are progressive and will bounce like hell when you cut them when you hit a bump.

That Picture you've got looks just like someone I cuffed and stuffed many years ago. When he showed up for court he looked just like that except his hair was falling out in clumps :rofl: not cut that way.

Erich

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Allen, aren't our springs linear and it won't make any difference in the spring rate when cut. Pre 03 are progressive and will bounce like hell when you cut them when you hit a bump.

You can find that info on stangsuspension.com but ... no the 99 and 01 cobras are linear as well i have done lots of searching to make sure that they were before i even thought about cutting them

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cut 1/2 half coil all the way around and ditch the isolators. See how you like it. You will probably end up with a full cut all the way around, but start with 1/2 and see what you think. No matter what 1/2 coil will not be too much.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Crap that looks slow!!!! hhaha:bigwink:

·
Registered
901 Posts

You can find that info on stangsuspension.com but ... no the 99 and 01 cobras are linear as well i have done lots of searching to make sure that they were before i even thought about cutting them
My oversight. Didn't caught the 99 Cobra and didn't know the springs were the same. Oh I looked up the spring thing when I read your question with the search here. Ah, just plug in "cut stock springs". :bigwink:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Cut 1/2 half coil all the way around and ditch the isolators. See how you like it. You will probably end up with a full cut all the way around, but start with 1/2 and see what you think. No matter what 1/2 coil will not be too much.
Why ditch the ISO's????

That's one of the advantages of cutting your springs, you get the EXACT ride height you want WITHOUT sacraficing the quality by removing the ISO's.

If you want the car a little lower, just cut a little more.:dumb:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey 04, remember that set of springs I cut 3/4 ? Well I can't put them on. I've got "1in." clearance, at stock height, just pulling out of my drive. Went through a lot for nothing.............lol Sorry :eek:fftopic:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts