Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from having the "Tick TSB" performed. While they had the motor out I gave them a set of JBA shorties to install. They were able to use the stock exhaust manifold studs on the passenger side and were able to use all but three of the studs for the drivers side. I also had them use the stock OEM gaskets. I don't know if it's just my imagination or if I'm just not used to the new sound of tubular headers, but I want to make sure I don't have an exhaust leak. I can't hear anything obvious when the car is at idle or under part throttle cruising. I do hear something under WOT, but I'm not sure if it's a leak or not. Is there any definitive way to prove or disprove whether you have an exhaust leak?

U.M.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What I have done in the past is take it to muffler shop that you trust. Put the car on a lift while on, lift the car and check for exhaust leaks. The guy I would take it to would check the pipe and connections with his hand. As far as headers I have seen them check with a hose to listen for the air or tick noise that it makes when it has a leak. Just my 2 cents on what I have done in the past. I worked for me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ticking noise is an obvious sign.

Also, put the car on the rack and use a lighter over the pipe connections. See if the flame moves or blows out.

Another way to tell is if you have a EGT/Pyrometer Gauge ( Autometer ) you should see the needle on the probe wiggling back and fourth constantly. Simila to how you detect a vacuum leak with a Vac Gauge.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Leak

I blew out the RH gasket on my first dyno testing the JBA shorties.
I'll try to PM you the pic. JBA kind enough to rush me 2 more gaskets....the three layer type with mesh in the center. Since I've been told the three layer all metal type is superior?? Anyway, 3 mo. later I now have a cold RH leak (tic tic) that goes away once everything heats up. If it gets worse I will go to the other type of gaskets, mill off the inlet lips and use loktite bolts.

Overall I like the shorties....they took away the bad X-pipe drone and added...whoop de doo....7RWHP/TQ.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Leak

BALDSNAKE said:
I blew out the RH gasket on my first dyno testing the JBA shorties.
I'll try to PM you the pic. JBA kind enough to rush me 2 more gaskets....the three layer type with mesh in the center. Since I've been told the three layer all metal type is superior?? Anyway, 3 mo. later I now have a cold RH leak (tic tic) that goes away once everything heats up. If it gets worse I will go to the other type of gaskets, mill off the inlet lips and use loktite bolts.

Overall I like the shorties....they took away the bad X-pipe drone and added...whoop de doo....7RWHP/TQ.
So you never tried the stock OEM gaskets with the JBA's? I have a slight tap/tick when cold that goes away in about 4 or 5 minutes. I agree about the drone going away. Used to be a little annoying at 1900-2000 RPM's before adding the JBA's. Now she sounds sweet.

Did you notice after installing your JBA's you can now hear what sounds like each cylinder firing? With my stock manifolds I had a steady exhaust note, now it's almost as if I can hear each individual exhaust pulse at moderate RPM's.

U.M.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The JBA's mixed with the Bassani X w/cats, Flowmasters with the baffels out and 4" tips...I can hear pure V8. I guess that's all 8 firing like a symphony. Love it. I've been told by many folks that they have never heard anything like it. I've heard louder but not sweeter. Other mods probably added to my sound.
If the stock gaskets are the 3 piece metal...they go in next time.

Perhaps in the end when all is said and done (mod wise) long tubes are in our future. Claims are 40 RWHP/TQ. Hell...the shorties were to get 25+ and got 7. Long tubes according to that reality would get only 11 real world .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks. I appreceiate the tips. I am re-torqueing my Basanni headers this weekend. I drop the K member to make it easier. What a pain. But it has to be done.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wonder if there are ANY definitive gains for the Bassani mid-length headers? They seem to be a bit longer and look like the full-length Kooks headers than the shorties that JBA sells, wonder if they are somewhere in between the full-lengths and shorties? I know HotRodHarry had them, and he loved them, but who else?

I just got my Bassani x-pipe with cats a little ahile ago, and I WILL NOT scrap them to get some full-lengths on my car. I bought the Bassani because only the Bassani headers fit the x-pipe. This is a mod that I am only contemplating doing right now, don't really wanna mess things up, and I would likely have to have a new tune done, and I really don't want to do that again for a while!!! Maybe next Spring or something?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts