Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know how much of a demand is there for an aftermarket intake for the 2 valve and the 4 valve mod motors and what features, qualities, ect. you would want out of this intake. Reason asking is because I am doing a market study for a possible business venture. I know eactly what intakes are available (slim to none) and there prices. What if there were and intake for street applications that would require no modifications to bolt on and one for strictly race that were priced under the current competition that gave similiar if not better results! I am a Product Development Engineer that has been thinking about this idea for a couple of years now starting when I had my 99GT. I have the money, knowledge and the right people behind me to do this. Please give me your opinions on this topic and any suggestions that you might have. Thanks!

Clint

·
Registered
182 Posts
There will be a demand, and how great it is depends on price and how good it is. On the flip side, I don't know if I would start a business based on one product for one or two applications only.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if its around lets say ---500 count me in! :)

well if ya want, when you get it made ill test it for ya.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Build an intake that allows using a Eaton/KB/Works style blower on top of a DOHC 5.4 and you will sell plenty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
you should make one that produces 100 rwhp....... you asked what i wanted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmmmm....... what do I want in an intake?????

something that produces power off idle to 6250 rpm with no loss of torque and a gain in power over the stock piece.

Make it a modular composite piece; so that the manifold could be isolated from direct transfer of heat

Design it along the stock architecture so a minimum of parts swapping would go on

Design it so 2V or 4V throttle bodies could be used.

Hmmm... I was also thinking that a base plate/runner-plenum manifold would be neat. You know buy a base plate and the throttle body adapter you liked then have like street runner/plenum, a street/strip runner plenum and a race plenum. However getting it all to work with one base plate would make for a very compromised piece and would probably be better served by three different manifold designs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What MiracleMax said....

·
Registered
155 Posts
96stang46 said:
Should be no problem to make an intake that knocks your car down to 100rwhp, send my $500 and I'll get started on it right away!!

:D

·
Registered
492 Posts
01 Saleen Cobra said:
I want to know how much of a demand is there for an aftermarket intake for the 2 valve and the 4 valve mod motors and what features, qualities, ect. Clint
There is a demand, but from what amount of people. Maybe 1 out of 60 mustang owners are heavily involved in upgrading their vehicles. Most people do the basic bolt on's. I dont think you could sell them cheaply since the market isnt very large, and there are well known manufacturers out there who are trusted.

Now, if you had a design, and could make a prototype, you may be able to sell that to a larger aftermarket company to mass produce.

I personally would love an intake that would work with my setup and not rob low end torque and still make power higher up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did any of you read the results of the Bullitt intake install on the Modmax car? That was a little dissappointing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
96stang46 said:
a little optimistic, but I like the way you think! :)

I am working on the drawings as we speak. I will keep you guys informed as we get more into the actual design process.

Thanks,
Clint

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ayrton said:
Build an intake that allows using a Eaton/KB/Works style blower on top of a DOHC 5.4 and you will sell plenty.
Also include us 4.6 2v guys. An intake that would allow us to choose the size and type of positive displacement supercharger we would like to install.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
If you could produce an intake for my supercharged 4V car that provides better gains then a ported stock unit and is priced under $700 then I would be interested.;)

Razor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think price is going to be your biggest hurdle. Power gains are important of course, but I will think twice about laying out a grand for an intake.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Saleen,

What do you use to draft the blueprint? Are you using CAD? AutoCAD? Just wondering and good luck with the project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Auto CAD is what we are using. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
BTW, so far the price is looking to be in the $750 range. The 2 valve intake will be the first to be tested and released then the 4 valve. To get the word out about the intake I will probably do a group purchase on here and the corral for around $600. Stay tuned!!!

Clint

·
Registered
23 Posts
01 Saleen Cobra said:
BTW, so far the price is looking to be in the $750 range. The 2 valve intake will be the first to be tested and released then the 4 valve. To get the word out about the intake I will probably do a group purchase on here and the corral for around $600. Stay tuned!!!

Clint
Subscribing

·
Registered
17 Posts
01 Saleen Cobra said:
Auto CAD is what we are using. Thanks.
Very cool to here that you are using AutoCAD as the design software for your intake manifolds. Are the manifolds going to be cast aluminium or? Did you do any flow development using a more sofisticated mechanical design CAD package? I'm a career AutoCAD drafter and mechanical engineering student so I was just curious to know what design processes were involved in the manifold design.
Thanks much for taking on this project. We need more aftermarket parts for our cars.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
01 Saleen Cobra said:

Clint
If you can make the intake produce good numbers I'm in.:D

Razor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts