Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up my D/C before I left the states and I noticed the idle now goes from 700 to around 575 then back every couple of seconds. I am pretty sure I installed it right so there wouldn't be any air leaks. Any suggestions?

G

·
sometimes these work, sometimes they dont. if you trimmed the gasket so its not in the way of airflow, i dont know what to tell you. if you didnt, try that. shot any ********* yet?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I am having a lot of problems with mine where after installing my exhaust my car developed a hesitation in throttle response, major loss of power, and it smells like it is running really lean. After some post with JP Demolet I believe it is probably due to the change in orientation of the mass-air. I have since cut my upper tube in half at the point were you can see the elbow and mating flange meet. I am going to get a 4" connecter, hopefully from a marine store for like what is used on water jackets for inboards and reconnect so I can adjust the mass-air.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I use a PHP air box, I used Amazon airbox both with no problem.
LaRocca Performance has use UPR and Dencechagers, open filter.
all with no Problems.
At Mustang Magic i have seen other types of setups used.
The only one that caused problems was the Mac and it was because the pipe is too small.

We too soon blame the last part we installed before checking the instalation and also need to adjust things for said changes made.

jim v.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
We too soon blame the last part we installed before checking the instalation and also need to adjust things for said changes made.
I respect your posts and opinions, but that is not what is happening here. There are actually several people experiencing the same thing I am to different degrees. I actually had the DC on my car first and it was my only mod and for the most part it worked fine every once and a while something weird would happen, but I basically ignored it. I installed my QMP exhaust and afterwards is when the problems started happening. Overtoad who is also reporting the same problem started experiencing it after his Bassani exhaust was installed. I had the situations listed above and I though it might be an exhaust leak at first so I checked the exhaust and everything was fine. I reset my computer around 4 times and still had the same problem. I removed the Densecharger and then everything was fine and the car runs great for almost 2 months. I decide to try the Densecharger again and same situation occurred. I took it of the next day and am looking for a resolution to the situation. Now if with the Densecharger on I have a problem and with it off I don't what would you suggest is causing the problem especially given the car smells lean and has hesitation which is exactly what I would suspect would be cause by an inaccurate meter reading. JP Demolet himself said that the change of the orientation could be causing the problem and offered a replacement pipe to the members in the thread that were discussing it and Overtoad took the offer. I am currently driving with my stock air box with no problems and going to try and fix this problem myself. I think that if the meter is rotated either to the stock location which is approx 45 degrees clockwise or the difference between the outside bend and the stock location which would be approx 135 degrees clockwise it might perform better. My car is basically stock short of the Densecharger and QMP header-back exhaust system.

This is my first post which Rick from Amazon is saying that he has seen the problem and remove the densecharger.
Computer Problems

This is the last post with JP Demolet.
Last Post

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Very Interesting.
I as Rick am not a fan of the bend after the meter.
However they do seem to work in most of the cars.

LaRocca Performance has a Pullied car there now with Mac CAI that is pegging the meter.
I was under the Impression that Mac was the only one with these Problems.As i have only seen it myself on Mac cold air kits.

Periodically on non 03 Cobra's even with PRO M meter you get some cars pegging the meters(CAUSED TO RUN LEAN)

It could be your meter.I myself had to have recall meters in the past a number of times.

just a few more thoughts

jim v.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Sorry another thought..

Your car running well without it and running poorly with it.
While other run well with the Desecharger would also point me in the direction to try another stock meter.

jim v.

G

·
my DC is sitting in my spare room, my cat uses the filter to scratch on. i left that carbon fiber looking piece on the car since i had to drill holes to put it on. i increased the hole size to match the factory hole as much as i could. i then ran the hose from my broke ass JLP ram air from the hole next to the foglight all the way to the DC piece. then i zip tied the hose there, so it should be putting cold air on my PHP setup. if anyone has more CAI parts on their car id be suprised, lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't shot anyone (yet). But I'm sure I'll get my chance. In regards to the D/C. I didn't use the gaskey instead I used the tube of stuff that came with it. I am sure there are no air leaks, but I'll try another stock meter when I get home. Thanks

·
400 Posts
The best and only way to find the problem here is to monitor the MAF voltage. If it is unstable you have a problem on the MAF inlet side.

Rick

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
AmazonRacing said:
The best and only way to find the problem here is to monitor the MAF voltage. If it is unstable you have a problem on the MAF inlet side.

Rick
At what voltage does the stock MAF peg out? I finally checked my TPS and it was way out reading 1.2. I have re-adjusted it and now it is exactly at 0.98. Since I couldn't move the sensor itself I had to adjust if via the idle screw and now it is idling at 750 rpm.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
AmazonRacing said:

Rick
While you are at it, use the OBD-II scanner to monitor and datalog STFT Bank1, STFT Bank2, LTFT Bank1, and LTFT Bank2 as well as RPM. Take the car out for a drive and try to hit all of the RPM/load ranges without going open-loop (OT). IOW, try to stay in the lower load ranges.

Both the LTFTs should be within +/- 5-7% and the STFTs should be also be close to zero. If yours are way off, and you have a D/C or UPR CAI, this could be the cause of your driveability problems.

I sell a lot of MAFterburners to folks that buy C&L MAF kits and MAC CAI kits and end up with driveability problems. With the MB, you can fix any transfer function skew that occurs due to these mods. You can not fix a turbulent air flow condition with the MB, but there are other fixes for that problem.

Hope this helps,

MJ

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
toofast4u said:
At what voltage does the stock MAF peg out? I finally checked my TPS and it was way out reading 1.2. I have re-adjusted it and now it is exactly at 0.98. Since I couldn't move the sensor itself I had to adjust if via the idle screw and now it is idling at 750 rpm.
It used to be that when the stock MAF exceeded 4.85V, the PCM would use a default alpha-N table (throttle angle vs. RPM) and ignore the MAF. I'm not exactly sure what voltage this occurs on the '03 Cobra though. The absolute maximum input voltage into the PCM's MAF input pin is 5.00V

The maximum rwhp that the stock MAF will support before saturation is approximately 500.

MJ

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
mjchip said:
It used to be that when the stock MAF exceeded 4.85V, the PCM would use a default alpha-N table (throttle angle vs. RPM) and ignore the MAF. I'm not exactly sure what voltage this occurs on the '03 Cobra though. The absolute maximum input voltage into the PCM's MAF input pin is 5.00V

The maximum rwhp that the stock MAF will support before saturation is approximately 500.

MJ
MJChip it is interesting that value was 4.85V because that is the exact number my TPS goes to at wide-open now. I thought it would go to 5V, but it doesn't. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
toofast4u said:
MJChip it is interesting that value was 4.85V because that is the exact number my TPS goes to at wide-open now. I thought it would go to 5V, but it doesn't. Thanks for the info.
What does the TPS value have to do with the MAF value?

MJ

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
mjchip said:
What does the TPS value have to do with the MAF value?

MJ
Nothing at all really I was just surprised that it was 4.85V at full open and not 5V and then your post said that the MAF was interpreted as pegged at 4.85V and not 5V.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
toofast4u said:
Nothing at all really I was just surprised that it was 4.85V at full open and not 5V and then your post said that the MAF was interpreted as pegged at 4.85V and not 5V.
Oh, okay. I just didn't want to mislead you that the TPS voltage had much to do with the MAF pegging.

MJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Overtoad who is also reporting the same problem started experiencing it after his Bassani exhaust was installed. I had the situations listed above and I though it might be an exhaust leak at first so I checked the exhaust and everything was fine. I reset my computer around 4 times and still had the same problem. I removed the Densecharger and then everything was fine and the car runs great for almost 2 months. I decide to try the Densecharger again and same situation occurred. I took it of the next day and am looking for a resolution to the situation. Now if with the Densecharger on I have a problem and with it off I don't what would you suggest is causing the problem especially given the car smells lean and has hesitation which is exactly what I would suspect would be cause by an inaccurate meter reading. JP Demolet himself said that the change of the orientation could be causing the problem and offered a replacement pipe to the members in the thread that were discussing it and Overtoad took the offer.
I registered to chime in here, since it's probably best if I input a tiny correction, and to give an update.

I actually had the Bassani system on my car within the second week of ownership. I then had the car for more than two months before I did anything else to it. My idle smoothed out over those two months, which is when I decided to install the DC.
The problems I had were well documented, and can be found by those interested with a simple search of the SVT site. There's no need for me to state them again here.
My problems were instantanious with the install of the DC. Removing the second bend in the piping stopped the stalling, but no rotations in the sensor, nor various modifications to the pipes or gasket yielded any results. Upon removal of the DC system, the car immediately returned to an even idle and tip-top performance.
John Demolet and I shared a SEVERE case of miscommunication, which created an environment of negativity on the SVT forums. Basically, I never got any of his reply emails. In fact, I had to setup a new email account just to swap messages with him.
I regret the negativity on the forums, though it did yield an awareness to the problems others have reported.

John has sent out some experimental parts to me. These are neither prototypes, nore identical replacements for what I currently have. I'm going to run various tests with what he's sending out (they should be here Tuesday at the latest), then report back to him with the results.
This should yield, at some point, either an understanding of some problems, or a fix, regarding the current DC system.

John is holding up to his reputation as a customer service guy by doing this. I'm playing guinnea pig, but the results may help other DC owners. Once we find a fix for the problems, John will fab up something that appeals visually. From what he's said, the parts I'm receiving are purely function and not visually appealing.

I don't think reporting on every step of the experiment is a good idea, since we're liable to have more bad things happen then good to start with. Once we get a firm grasp of things and a positive final result, I'll gladly share whatever info I have.

·
400 Posts
MJ hit the nail right on the head on what things must be checked. Copy his post ,do the proceedure and it will tell you where the problem is.
Overtoad will said, John wants his product to work. He's giving it 100%. Let us know what you find out.

Rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts