The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your opinions? Experiances?Heat range?

jim v.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Jim, put IT-20's in friends Torch Red Vert. Mods are 3.10 upper 6lb lower, 3" O/R X and 3" catback, AR Chip and filter kit. 2nd track run after install blew out 3 plugs on passenger side. Burnt them up, arm in all. Put stock plugs back in, getting misfire now. Switching to Denso IT-22's. Met up with West coast Denso Rep yesterday, and he's looking into proper plug for modded Cobra's. Say's their racing Denso's go all the way up to 36, of course, going that high would cause some serious drivability issues. If the 22's don't seem to work, he's gonna send us some 24's. My bud's not the only guy with this pulley combo, so I don't know why he's having this problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jimmy,
I have ran the Denso IT20's in my Lightning and now for my Cobra and they are the best plug i have used.I have dynoed on several occasions the NGK tr6's against the Denso's on the same day and there was no difference in power between them.The main difference i have noticed is that i was getting at least 2-3 misfires at high rpms at the dyno with the NGK's and very seldom would i see any misfires from a Denso.I am going to switch to the IT22 plug soon and will give feedback on it as soon as i can!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wanna ask this question. Why are people not running the stock motorcraft 22's that come with the second run cars? I talked to a tuner recently and he has more experience with the 03's then anyone I know. I asked him about the plugs and he was not sure why we are messing with them....

Thoughts?????

·
400 Posts
I have not yet tried the densos yet so I can't comment on them, I never had any problems with the tr6's. One consideration to keep in mind is that that plugs in these cars should be change around 10k. With the boost levels above stock it is highly recommended. 20 bucks every 10k ain't bad, but if the money isn't a issue I guess it don't matter. Please let me know any differences with these plugs and if you have any before and after dyno sheets so I can see where the power increase is. I have a very good source for denso but want to feel good about them before I sell them. As High Roller said they work excellent in the lightnings and I know of many L guys that loved them also.

Rick

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Jim,
Im testing the IT24's against the Tr6's in my car.Mihovetz sent me that heat range to test.I'll let ya know how they do with alot of boost.The tR6's have done great with 19psi.Im just curious to see if the denso's make more power @ 8000rpm and 25psi verses the TR6's..I hope they do.You figure out the spark issue on the 2 valve?

Tim

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You figure out the spark issue on the 2 valve?

He(J.L.) claims he did.I'll wait t'ill i drive it to be sure.

jim v.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What I use on all the Vortech kits I sell are AWSFA12C these are copper plugs two heat ranges colder than the 32C plat plug, I have good numbers with these plugs today I instaled Denso Iridums and I will see how they do, I want to try the Plasma ignition, if it does not work I will send it back and I will do before and after dyno runs. http://www.ignitionsolutions.com

MSD has come out with the stacker 8 but its on back order and its list price is 650.00, the plasma is 300 in theory it should work, so I am willing to try since so far there are no upgrades for COP setup short of using twin MSDS4 which is very labor intensive.

Dennis

WWW.ReinhartAutomotive.com

·
Registered
661 Posts
Do you mean awsf12c , I also use these,
Dennis Reinhart said:
What I use on all the Vortech kits I sell are AWSFA12C these are copper plugs two heat ranges colder than the 32C plat plug, I have good numbers with these plugs today I instaled Denso Iridums and I will see how they do, I want to try the Plasma ignition, if it does not work I will send it back and I will do before and after dyno runs. http://www.ignitionsolutions.com

MSD has come out with the stacker 8 but its on back order and its list price is 650.00, the plasma is 300 in theory it should work, so I am willing to try since so far there are no upgrades for COP setup short of using twin MSDS4 which is very labor intensive.

Dennis

WWW.ReinhartAutomotive.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been using the IT-22's with good results - I do not think they make demonstrably more power than the TR6's, but should last longer. Some of the early ones were reported to drop the electrode now and then, with unpleasantries for the rings. However, I have not seen a ref to that in quite a while.

I agree with Rick - had I not been curious, I would have stayed with the TR6's and just replaced them every two years, which is only 5k or so. 10k is no doubt easily safe, and the Denso's should be good to 20k even with xtra boost - they are built very strong, and have a very good rep in moto racing as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts