Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a KB with 19# pulley from Pete yesterday and today everybody is jumping all over this turbo kick. Now I am depressed that I should have gone with the turbo, but I really know consciously I don't want to mess with a turbo on a daily driver. What is everybody with a stock IRS and 6-speed running in the ¼ on the KB? I am hoping for at least 620 rwhp with my QMP exhaust and densecharger.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought about a turbo in a few months from now........but with people saying the kenne bell runs like a stocker and can give 600-700RWHP and drive it daily. That is just flat out sick!!! It is a traction war with anything on the street that has over 550 horse. At least from some cars that I have seen racing. The track is fine of course, but cruising the streets with 275-315 series tires in the back....your gonna blow em up everytime with 600 horse. I say be happy with the kenne bell. Almost unlimited potential with that thing!!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Don't be depressed!! Turbo has not proved anything yet!! KB has nothing else to prove. Have fun and mod away!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
turbo's rule for all out power but for a daily driver the kenne-bell
is the way to go.IMHO
think about the instant torque you have with the twin-screw.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Let me clarify my statement before you all jump my stuff, the turbo hasen't proved anything on THIS car yet. I know it's awesome on the GN's and Supra's and others, but the KB is happening on this car right now and IMHO it's the way to go. Sooner or later we have to be happy with this car. is 600-700 hp on a daily driver with NO DRIVEABILITY ISSUES not enough?? I'm crazy but we really all need a reality check!!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
sambandit said:
Let me clarify my statement before you all jump my stuff, the turbo hasen't proved anything on THIS car yet. I know it's awesome on the GN's and Supra's and others, but the KB is happening on this car right now and IMHO it's the way to go. Sooner or later we have to be happy with this car. is 600-700 hp on a daily driver with NO DRIVEABILITY ISSUES not enough?? I'm crazy but we really all need a reality check!!
AMEN BRO!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Since it is a fact that either can make your car seriously stupid fast, you really can't go wrong with either one. Damn, when I was young, high nines could get you a bye-run in the first round at a Pro Stock race with guys like Sox-Martin, Dyno Don Nicholson, etc racing acid dipped factory built cars! Now you can do it with electric windows, A/C and drive the car home:shocked

I do suspect the install is going to be significantly more time consuming on a turbo then installation of a KB and I doubt any turbo kit is going to be cheaper then the KB. Guess we'll know soon enough.

But Twofast4u, if that KB you ordered is polished, and you're still disappointed, maybe we should talk:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
toofast4u said:
What is everybody with a stock IRS and 6-speed running in the ¼ on the KB?
But no one has said what kind of 1/4 mile numbers the KB equipped Cobra's are turning. I realize there are a few elite cars running very fast times with NOS but what about just the KB, Chip, CAI, Exhaust crowd.

There are those who are running 11.5 or better with an Eaton using just a Chip, CAI, and Exhaust. Harry says his is in the low 11's with some crazy boost numbers (kind of goes against the thought that the Eaton is not worth much after 14 psi). The KB sure "sounds" great but if low 11's can be done on an Eaton where are the KB time slips?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I know consciously that the KB is a better choice, just sub-consciously I want as much as I can get. If I can get up to 650rwhp and drive this car daily with no major issues I will be happy, until somebody beats me of course. :rolleyes: I like turbos and they are great, but if the car wasn't designed for them they can be a real PIA especially on a daily driver IMO. I have to believe that the KB with 17+# has to be in the low 11's to high 10's if not better.

I have a friend with a 2003 Z-06 that wants to go to the track soon hopefully the KB comes in by then even though he swears my car is faster. I will be running 9# boost until the Predator comes out and then put on my 2.75” non-slip pulley to go to 19#. I have another guy I work with that has a 2000+ Corvette Coupe with a Paxton that I am going to destroy. :evil

·
Registered
603 Posts
Turbo equals:
-most potential for all out power
-tough manifold installation (we all know long tubes are a bitch)
-need to route an oil line to lube the turbo
-need to poke a hole in your oil pan for turbo oil drain
-install a turbo timer for safe measure
-intercooler might be tough to mount
-mostlikely need to cut up your car to route intercooler piping
-overall installation won't be quick
-I bet no one comes out w/ a CARB legal kit

KB equals:
-great power potential (enough for 9's)
-no hole in oil pan
-direct replacement for eaton
-can be installed in half a day
-no need for any kind of fabrication, welding or cutting up the 03
-reliable
-CARB legal
-did I mention "no hole in oil pan"

If you're looking for a title, go for the turbo. Otherwise, keep it simple and go for a KB.

·
Registered
521 Posts
doubleblack said:
Turbo equals:
-most potential for all out power
-tough manifold installation (we all know long tubes are a bitch)
-need to route an oil line to lube the turbo
-need to poke a hole in your oil pan for turbo oil drain
-install a turbo timer for safe measure
-intercooler might be tough to mount
-mostlikely need to cut up your car to route intercooler piping
-overall installation won't be quick
-I bet no one comes out w/ a CARB legal kit

KB equals:
-great power potential (enough for 9's)
-no hole in oil pan
-direct replacement for eaton
-can be installed in half a day
-no need for any kind of fabrication, welding or cutting up the 03
-reliable
-CARB legal
-did I mention "no hole in oil pan"

If you're looking for a title, go for the turbo. Otherwise, keep it simple and go for a KB.
I have to agree with you. Obviously if you are a consistant challenger at big events, week in and week out during race season, then the Turbo kit may be what is needed to stay out in the front. But for an everyday driver, running in the mid teens boost on pump gas, and an occassional trip to the 1/4 once a month, then the KB is enough(probably more than enough) and remains stock looking under the hood. No doubt , it would be easier to get a little warrenty work done with a KB over the turbo set-up I would think. Hell have the mechanics(no flame intended) that I have talked to at Ford dealerships have no idea what the 03 looks like under the hood. hehe. On the positive side of the turbo, its only a matter of time before someone has these cars deep in the 8's if not lower with the turbo setup.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Won't the first turbo setups face the same issues that the high hp KB people like Rich and others are facing now with fuel and ecu tuning, only worse? Won't they need larger injectors and a means of supplying and sustaining additional fuel pressure? I haven't heard anything on how these turbo setups will be made to support the much higher power provided by the turbo from an engine management perspective. I would want to hear a lot more about this before I considered a turbo setup.

Bill

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
2kbill said:
Won't the first turbo setups face the same issues that the high hp KB people like Rich and others are facing now with fuel and ecu tuning, only worse? Won't they need larger injectors and a means of supplying and sustaining additional fuel pressure? I haven't heard anything on how these turbo setups will be made to support the much higher power provided by the turbo from an engine management perspective. I would want to hear a lot more about this before I considered a turbo setup.

Bill
I'm on the same page as you, Bill. Kenne Bell is VERY WELL established with aftermarket modular Mustang kits. And we are STILL chasing down some gremlins to ensure the cars are safe and will be preserved at those power levels.

I can only imagine the gremlins that will arise from a turbo kit for the 03. We shall see.

BTW, what ever happened to the WORKS blower setup? I thought it was supposed to be out months ago? I remember all the claims.

Did the Works not Work? Did we get Worked by Works??

·
Registered
295 Posts
toofast4u,

When your ready to go turbo let me know, I think that KB will look nice with my 03 cobra swap into my fox body:evil

Actually, the KB is already in the works, just need to get this thing fired up!

·
Registered
140 Posts
maybe you need to meet up with me for a ride...might take away your depression!!.....we might go to tower shops tonight...ru going?? mike

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
turbo on 03' = bad idea for the average street car

I've been doing mustangs since the 80's.......including MANY turbo ones.....did everyone forget the reason we bought these cars in the first place? How about great drivability, INSTANT great power and torque at low rpm's with less than half throttle? As i'm sure that most of you know how turbo's function...totally rely on flow of the exhaust to make the wheel spool also remember this......with street turbos the exhaust will often leak, making the power go down the toilet......i fixed many very frequently. Are you prepared to change your header gaskets? for some reason i don't think so......if you wanted a turbo car thats gutless till it's reved up go get a 96-01' cobra and build it a ton cheaper......or a fox bodied car for that matter.......at least that way you could change the gaskets easier!!! :lol Does anyone even realize you can't even USE the power a 19lb. PUMP GAS setup kenne bell makes on the street? I drive mine...( which is actually my wife's car) it is totally docile in day to day use....just like a stocker....untill you hit the gas.....on regular f-1's if your on the highway for instance, and put it in 3rd. at say 70 mph and hit it......it puts funny black marks behind you...BLOWS THE TIRES OFF GUYS... same thing in second with my 315 bfg's on.....but when you get used to it.....it can be used effectively when you get the hang of how much throttle to use.....and lets not forget the installation compared to a turbo......which i will agree has a higher hp potential at higher rpm's ......but didn't we buy these to have a great STREET car that you didn't have to work on every week to keep running right? I have 2 cars that run in the 9's and faster........and believe this.....you better be able to do the work on them BY YOURSELF or you better be rich and be able to pay someone else....all i am saying to you guys is think about what you really wanted this car to be......you can have a bolt on 700 plus hp. street car that gives you NO problems in day to day use or you can have a 700 plus hp. car that will require work, and will require you to work it harder throttle wise to get some interesting results.......lol! choice is yours.......i and many others have made mine for a street car.....:D 2 fast cars are enough to work on all the time......it's nice to have 1 fast car that that doesn't need to be worked on.....besides changing the oil!!!! Your choice.........go with what makes you happy.....hermann

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Herman i agree with you,
however:
The other side of the argument is you should make more power at less boost with the Turbo.We all know how that works,then you go for the gusto!!!
What also concerns me about the Turbo Kit's is you will need aftermarket K member and coil overs also.
The turbo Kits should also cost much more..In any event i am sure we will see some out there in the near future..

If you would of told me 10 yrs ago..We would have a 280in motor with 600+ rwhp and by the way running on Pump gas..
I would of said not gonna happen....

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
mike5876 said:
maybe you need to meet up with me for a ride...might take away your depression!!.....we might go to tower shops tonight...ru going?? mike
I will most likely be there from 6:00pm-7:00pm.

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
Everyone seems to be glossing over the inability of the car to get the horspower to the street. Anything over 400 HP and the stock suspension is practically worthless.
600HP and it is an obsurdity.
My near future has a solid axle in it. Then more HP. First things first.

Dana

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
If you would of told me 10 yrs ago..We would have a 280in motor with 600+ rwhp and by the way running on Pump gas..
I would of said not gonna happen....
Hehe, funny you mention that, I have people who will look me in the face today and tell me it isnt gonna happen. They simply cant grasp the fact that I have a full stable of horses under the hood, GOBS of power through all RPM ranges, can get 20mpg if I baby it and can idle in traffic with the air on :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts