Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched, and ended up in alot of OLD posts from like 03-04, where there seemed to be alot of confusion, plus people throwing in their two cents about 3650's, which really doesnt help.

Which fluid is better for a T45, Dexron III (which seems to be hard to find now with all of the Mercon V & VII stuff now) or Synchromesh? Anybody ever switched from one to the other in a short period of time for comparison?

The person I bought my 98 GT from says he put synthetic in it, which seems like a big no no in the T45, from what I have read. Im wondering if it maybe it will shift a little better with something else?

Im swapping the clutch soon, figure this would be as good of a time as any

·
Registered
406 Posts
dextron 3 is the recommended fluid for the T-45, Its what i used in mine, If you go to the parts store and find the fluid labeled domestic Ford/GM ATF thats dextron 3, I believe that dextron V can be used in all applications calling for 3 but im not sureon that. Read the bottle b4 trying to convert to synthetic if thats the way you want to go. I rebuilt my ZF 5 speed in my 250 and went to sythetic, i dont see the difference but i got the oil for free and it plainly stated all the fluids it could replace.

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
O'Reilly's still carries Pennzoil Syncromesh as far as I know. It works great. I flushed out my T-56 with it and kinda wish I hadn't gone with Royal Purple now. I recommend Syncromesh over the Dexron III for sure.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i filled mine with old school B&M Trick Shift and it works great!

·
Registered
122 Posts
i just flushed my t-45 out for the first time with GM syncromesh from the gm dealer, my shifts are a lot smoother and overall i like it better and my whining from the tranny has decreased SLIGHTLY...lol, id recommend that stuff if you have any tranny noise and like smooth shifts.

when i was at the gm dealer there is two types GM syncromech and syncromesh with a friction modifier.... i just went for the stuff w/o the modifier im wondering if it would be any better tho...

cheers

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am running Royal Purple Syncromax in mine. It seems a little smoother but I haven't had much seat time since I changed over.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
T-45 was designed to use atf not syncromesh fluid...... the fiber blocker rings to be specific need atf to work and live properly.....If there is any shift or noise concerns, changing to a different fluid is not a fix...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unless you these guys changed the fluid out before it needed to be, it's not really going to be a fair comparison. Of course fresh fluid is going to be better than the old stuff. How much of the difference can you contribute to the different type of fluid opposed to just replacing old fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts