Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on this...especially the availability date. Trying to stay "warranty friendly", but damn, I want a pulley. Please tell me this thing is coming out for the '03's soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything I've seen on this says Spring '03 release...well, last friday was the first day of spring dammit and I want my Predator. j/k.

:D

·
400 Posts
We just started getting the preditors for the powerstrokes last week. It's still gonna be a while for the mustangs and 03's. One thing to keep in mind is they aren't sure about custom tunes in them yet. A well modded car should have a custom program installed in it. That seems to be one of the issues at the present time. I will keep you updated on it's release.

Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea, i was going to say these things don't seem to have very much adjustability and you still need a chip to ge the tune close...

Maybe I am misunderstanding the operation though.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I thought users had limit functionality. But real tuners could make full function codes like they do for there chips and then upload it into the unit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toofast4u said:
I thought users had limit functionality. But real tuners could make full function codes like they do for there chips and then upload it into the unit.
That's what I thought. I guess I was misinformed. I basically wanted something to allow me to run a pulley, but wasn't as invasive (i.e. leaves evidence) as a chip or the Mafterburner.

·
400 Posts
As of right now we can upload a custom program to the preditor in the powerstroke diesel. Diablosport is not sure yet whether or not they want to do this in the cobra, it's still up in the air. As soon as I know something I'll post it. With a custom tune + or - 5% on fuel and timing is an awfull lot and could damage the motor very easily. this is why they are hesitent.

Rick

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
AmazonRacing said:
As of right now we can upload a custom program to the preditor in the powerstroke diesel. Diablosport is not sure yet whether or not they want to do this in the cobra, it's still up in the air. As soon as I know something I'll post it. With a custom tune + or - 5% on fuel and timing is an awfull lot and could damage the motor very easily. this is why they are hesitent.

Rick
But can't you do the same with a chip so what is the difference?

G

·
I just ordered a Predator for my GM truck from James at www.runninwiththedevil.com

he has a promotion going that throws in a set of Denso Iridiums and I'll give you one guess as to which of my vehicles they're going into :D

btw, James owns an '03 Cobra himself, so you can be sure he's on top of things regarding the new model for our cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
toofast4u said:
I would imagine the difference is Rick is a tuner and wouldn't do that, but Diablo allowing a layman to do it could result in some pissed off laymen. :)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
slythetove said:
I would imagine the difference is Rick is a tuner and wouldn't do that, but Diablo allowing a layman to do it could result in some pissed off laymen. :)
Sly you might want to read my first post again.

toofast4u said:
I would not expect Diablo to give complete ability to program there tuners for everybody. I personally would rather pay somebody who knows what they are doing it is substantially cheaper in the long run. My question was I thought we would be able to purchase full tunes from people like Rick and put them on our cars using the preditor. Rick response was he was not sure if that was going to be the case with the 03 Cobras. I actually live about 30-minutes from Diablo and would really rather to have them do it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
toofast4u said:
Sly you might want to read my first post again.

I did read your post.

toofast4u said:
Perhaps I was unclear... based on the post from Rick you quoted I understood your question to be "aren't chips just as potentially dangerous because you can adjust these parameters with them?".

If so,

No you can't do the same thing with a chip. A tuner (Rick) can do the same thing, With a Predator what Rick is saying is that he could do his thing, and then an uneducated user could come along and add or subtract 5% in several dangerous areas.

The speculation being that perhaps this is why Diablosport isn't sure if they are going to let the Predator do the same thing to the Cobra as it does on some other less volatile vehicles.

If your question is "how is a Predator different than a chip?" then the answer is that it allows parameters to be changed by the end user instead of a tuner.

If your question was neither then... hey I can't figure it out. :)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
slythetove said:
If your question is "how is a Predator different than a chip?" then the answer is that it allows parameters to be changed by the end user instead of a tuner.

Ok this is where the confusion is. I was under the impression that the Predator does not allow the average person to adjust the tune parameters. From my understanding it only allows you to adjust BS options like rear gear, tire size, CAGS, and monitor variables. The only people who can adjust tune parameters and make a tune are people with the revolution kit ie Rick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I see. Well, from what I've read of the Predator for other vehicles they actually do let the average guy (me and you) adjust a few things.

I think Rick is saying they aren't sure if they want to allow that on the Cobra version considering what 5% fuel +/- or 5% timing +/- would be capable of doing to our engines.

Here's a thread where I first started to hear about the Predator...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30957&highlight=Predator

If you read BNASPLT 's posts throughout that thread you will probably have a better understanding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts