Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Yeah, I know.

Matt (Haveight) had a problem with a tune, had some detonation and blew a spark plug right out of the head.

He brought the car to Ford and they checked everything - bearings, rods, rings, pistons...no engine damage...just a spark plug launched out of the head due to the HUGE compression that he's making with 34 psi of boost and some detonation. When he disconnected that one spark plug the car ran fine on 7 cylinders.

He's having the heads re-tapped for larger spark plugs and he should be back in business. He's hauling it to NJ to JDM.

Talk about an engine that can take abuse!!!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. He is running 34#s, has detination, and that happened and the motor is still going. :worship2 :worship2

·
Registered
618 Posts
motor is fine and while I am at JDM itmay just be time for longtubes and any other goodies Jim can talk me into. Jim tlod me he can fix the problem very easlily which makes me very happy, I will call you Rich when I get there leaving tuesday Night and getting there Wednesday morning, probably leave the car with Jim for a few weeks to have it ready for Norwalk. It was my first event last year, where with just 300 miles on the car and a L pulley I ran a [email protected] with a 1.9 60 foot time, so I have to go back to Norwalk and can't wait to get there, Heck since I can't go to Virgina maybee I should have Jim take it and see what he can do with the car.:D Motor didn't blow, but boy did it come close.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Haveight said:
motor is fine and while I am at JDM itmay just be time for longtubes and any other goodies Jim can talk me into. Jim tlod me he can fix the problem very easlily which makes me very happy, I will call you Rich when I get there leaving tuesday Night and getting there Wednesday morning, probably leave the car with Jim for a few weeks to have it ready for Norwalk. It was my first event last year, where with just 300 miles on the car and a L pulley I ran a [email protected] with a 1.9 60 foot time, so I have to go back to Norwalk and can't wait to get there, Heck since I can't go to Virgina maybee I should have Jim take it and see what he can do with the car.:D Motor didn't blow, but boy did it come close.
Call me when you get into town. I'll come get you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I will have the HD out with me just put a 2.8 pulley on it , Air box mod K&N, and some other parts, Its gonna be stripped down though, no interior, I am gonna need to drop off the trailer at A local U haul, directions would be helpful. I can't wait to see ya again Rich. My buddy Tom will be with me.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Haveight said:
I will have the HD out with me just put a 2.8 pulley on it , Air box mod K&N, and some other parts, Its gonna be stripped down though, no interior, I am gonna need to drop off the trailer at A local U haul, directions would be helpful. I can't wait to see ya again Rich. My buddy Tom will be with me.
At least the HD has more than 4 spark plugs threads huh?

I'm giving a HUGE thumbs down to Ford for giving us the "new" 03 4V heads with 4 spark plug threads. :damnit

·
Registered
618 Posts
The HD hasthe same problem just not tons of boost being run through that yet. I should go ahead and have the truck redone too, before it becomes a problem.:D

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Haveight said:
The HD hasthe same problem just not tons of boost being run through that yet. I should go ahead and have the truck redone too, before it becomes a problem.:D
The 2003 5.4L heads have alot more threads than the old heads. If yours is a 2003, I wouldn't worry about spark plugs being launched.

·
Registered
136 Posts
IWRBB said:
At least the HD has more than 4 spark plugs threads huh?

I'm giving a HUGE thumbs down to Ford for giving us the "new" 03 4V heads with 4 spark plug threads. :damnit
Well in fairness to Ford, you are talking 4 times the stock boost:jawdrop

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
IWRBB said:
The 2003 5.4L heads have alot more threads than the old heads. If yours is a 2003, I wouldn't worry about spark plugs being launched.
Yea, lot of guys with late 97-02 trucks blowing plugs out. Knock on wood for me my screw has been running 12psi flawlessly but I have heard some horror stories.

·
Registered
53 Posts
motor is fine and while I am at JDM itmay just be time for longtubes and any other goodies Jim can talk me into. Jim tlod me he can fix the problem very easlily which makes me very happy, I will call you Rich when I get there leaving tuesday Night and getting there Wednesday morning, probably leave the car with Jim for a few weeks to have it ready for Norwalk. It was my first event last year, where with just 300 miles on the car and a L pulley I ran a [email protected] with a 1.9 60 foot time, so I have to go back to Norwalk and can't wait to get there, Heck since I can't go to Virgina maybee I should have Jim take it and see what he can do with the car. Motor didn't blow, but boy did it come close.
Matt,

It is only going to take a few hours to fix the head better than new.
Maybe you can hang out for a few days and come to Virginia with us.
We are being our two 03's .
I have confirmation on about thirty cars and about four real fast ones.

See you Wednesday.

[email protected]

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks Jim, I won't be able to go but maybee I'll leave the car with you and you and your crew can take it and see how it does.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts