Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
If I have one, mine doesn't make any noise....maybe I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway with the exhaust and radio all the time....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I think that this is something we should all know about. If you want to learn more about the onboard data recorders, what they record, and what makes them record the information that they "see". Go here - www.harristechnical.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you go to that harris technical link and check the vehicles that have the data recorders under 2003 ford, Mustang cobra is not listed, nor mustang. so nothing to worry about. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After doing some research, I don't know if Mustangs have them or not. I just find it an invasion of my privacy to put these things in our cars without our permission. Especially after reading that Virginia is going to start giving all their state troopers software to download this "information" after every accident.

If I do find out that our cars have it, I will actively find out how to get rid of it!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
cobragb said:
After doing some research, I don't know if Mustangs have them or not. I just find it an invasion of my privacy to put these things in our cars without our permission. Especially after reading that Virginia is going to start giving all their state troopers software to download this "information" after every accident.

If I do find out that our cars have it, I will actively find out how to get rid of it!
I'd like to know. It doesn't seem like a trivial thing to add, especially when the SN-95 is coming to the end of it's run. I guess the logical place for the info storage would be either the computer or the airbag module. If it was in the computer, I think we would have heard about that.

For it to be in the airbag module, the module would need some way to get the data to store, either wires from the sensors, or an interface to the main ECU. Either thing would take quite a few wires and some engineering time.

I'd love to know if it is there or not???

JT

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you read how they work you know that all you have to do to clear the memory is to cut all power to it. Just find the power wires and the battery wires and put a switch on them. Something happens or what not, just cut the power and they go stupid. Of course the air bags won't work when it's switched off but you can switch it off after the fact. ;) Or just pop a battery kill switch in the car and turn it off and stand on the brake(makes all power drain instantly). Makes it go dead too.

Wait, why am I telling you guys this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts