Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing the factory clutch in my 04 Cobra about a year and a half ago with a Spec3+, I encountered some issues, but today I fixed all of these issues with nothing more than a little work and time, here are some of the issues.

Starter wouldn't turn over unless I pressed the clutch in very hard

Had to adjust cable almost to the end of my Fiore firewall adjuster, and with this same adjuster, it was only about a third of the way out with the stock clutch.

I also began missing a lot of shifts after going to the Spec unit.

Here was the problem.

After looking from under the car at the clutch fork, I noticed that the fork was past perpendicular, even before the throwout bearing started pressing against the pressure plate and upon depressing the pressure plate the fork was very close to running out of it's allowable stroke in the window that the fork protrudes through. This brought to my attention that this pressure plate's fingers were alot closer to the flywheel than the stocker that it replaced and although I easily compensated for this by using the firewall adjuster, I never thought about the geometry that was now screwed up and putting everything into a bind by the time the clutch was fully depressed.

The fix

take out the trans and shim out the pivot ball with washers to put the fork close to where it was with the stock clutch. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

I immagine that the opposite could also occur from other styles of clutches too. I'd say to be safe, if your firewall adjuster has to be moved alot in either direction either in or out, I'd check your geometry of the clutch fork.

I tried trading my car for a lightning and an automatic Mach-1 just to get away from this six speed and I also almost purchased a 2800.00$ TR6060 transmission wich would have had he same issues if I Wouln't have shimmed out the pivot ball before installing it. Now with the cost of a rental tranny jack and about 3-4 hours of my time, I'm happy with the car again.

·
Geology and Cars
1,650 Posts
How did you know how much to shim? I am having the same problem only I have to press the clutch pedal all the way in to have it disengage and then it reengages almost immediately about an inch away from the floor. And then my pedal is alot higher than the brake and gas pedals.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just guessd and put the trans back in with two bolts and seen where my firewall adjuster came out to be.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You Did Great (shimming The Stock Ball Is Great), Just To Let You Know There Is An Adjustable Pivot Ball.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just went through the same, installed a spec 2 with low pedal option with a 6spd and pulled it to put in an adj. cable, adj. pivot ball and clearance a couple bolts on the trans for the pivot fork. I shortened the pivot ball about 1/2" to get it "square" with the clutch. Works fine. I'll be installing a clutch pedal hieght adjuster and spring setup from D'agostino that will take that sloppy play out of the pedal before engaging the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts