Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is anything I have learned in the past few years of drag racing is that every engine builder/tuner/racer has there own opinion of what works and what doesn't and don't be a bit suprised for these opinions to be on opposite ends of the scale. I would think that one opinion would have to be wrong being it the complete oposite, but unless you try things yourself, how do you know for sure? One idea I guess is to pick one man and stick with him through thick and thin, the other I guess is bite the bullet, make your own calls and hope for the best. What brings me to say all these things is one engine builder/tuner/shop owner I talk to is all about 10:1 compression in blown applications and anything less just isn't going to make good power. This certain tuner also likes the 99+ tumble port design heads and intake over the previous swirl port design in the 96-98 Cobras. Another engine builder/tuner/shop owner tells me that he prefers lower compression 8.5-9:1 in blown applications and likes the older swirl port design heads better. So what do you do? 99+ engine with higher compression? or the older style 96-98 engine with lower compression? Who Knows? I would think that both of these shops have done enough cars and research to back up their individual claims, but how on earth could they come up with completely different conclutions on which is best? I will also add that beyond these two shops (which I will not name) I can name others that will side with either of these two views. To me it doesn't really matter as I have both style heads here to run if I please but my current engine is low compression just as my last one was. Judging by how it ran (10.47 leaving easy and 131+mph on it's best pass) that it was making good power compared to similarly preped cars. My car was 3375lbs, making 18psi with an S-trim and was shifted at 7200. Shifting that low was my preference in that I thought it would live longer that way and could have probably done better at 7800rpm shifts or so. This engine was also a whopping 8.5:1 compression and was run on a mix of pump and race gas. There was no real need for this post, and I don't consider it completely technical, but have any of you other racers experienced this? And, with all of us here that do race and are making decent power, lets try to find out among ourselves here at modularfords.com what works and what doesn't for our own sake. I think it would be beneficial to all to list the differences of opionions between tuners/builders and what your ending results were!!

Chad

·
Registered
438 Posts
good post

Chad,

Excellent post!! I could not agree with you more. My motor happens to be a 10:1. I know I am making good power on a very conservative tune. Is it the best?? Who knows?? I did a lot of research, asked what I considered to be the experts in mod motor building, and went from there.

My decision on a 10:1 motor basically came from my conversations with John Mihovetz!! He runs a similiar combo, making 30+ lbs of boost with his turbo, so I guess that is good enough for me. :D

I like he idea of picking a builder/tuner and staying with them. Generally speaking, they have done similiar combos in the past and know what works for them.

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
16 Posts
Being a tuner/builder myself i for one can tell you there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are so many different combos that are available. The first thing is to figure out what you really want out of your car. Then do your homework. Talk with people with similar combos. Check with shops or persons who have done combos which you are intrested in. And by all means if possible pick one and stay with them until the end of the project. So many times i have had to finish someone elses mess or go behind some to finish. You are spending alot of money just be sure you getting what you want. Combing several ideas from different people can cause poor results. For proven results try to use one source. Different combos require differnet methods of tuning and builders usually build to suite their tuning styles. .....Turbo54

·
Registered
173 Posts
Turbo54,
Just wondering, you mention you are a builder/tuner. What shop do you run. I dont get on a lot so, I cant keep up with everything or everybody. Juding thhat you are in NC, and your screen nameis turbo54, I would assume True Blue in Raleigh. But, I have never seen where you had posted the name of your shop. Just wondering, i am in VA and was looking into putting my car on a dyno within the next month or so now that i have changed a few things.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
On my Street Turbo Cars"4" I have run Low Comp.My new engine 8.5to1,but that because I will run pump gas in her on low boost settings 10lbs or less around town.At the track it's race gas and big boost 20lbs+.I also run a little Methanol injection "ala"Buick Guys"stuff.On a race only Motor"Randy you can chime in" You can be alot more agressive with your set up.You run the Best Fuel C-116 and it's wide open for 6-7-8 seconds.No stop light,heavry traffic heat building stuff. The heads question is out of my League.I had SHM Build me thier best stuff!At the time they were the best.I know Randy's Outlaw car runs hard but he wasn't to my knowledge building complete motors at the time I started.I could have saved a little Money:eek: Any ways talk to everyone see what thier cars have done.SHM at the time and Still? Has built about the fastest 2v and 4v motors.Scott there was vey cool and knowledgeable" my spelling sucks"Not every can afford to have some builders do thier stuff.Priced a Pro Stock Motor lately?
Kaz...................:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts