Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes....blew up the Auburn Pro diff in my car a little while ago. Auburn is shit DONT ever use them. The car had about 12 passes on it (5 on slicks the rest DR's) and about 5000 miles of street use before the Auburn decided to vacate the rear case. Literally...I had a huge hole in my cover.

fast forward to the present....I decide to set up the new diff (trak loc) myself. Its like one of those things that you want to know just to know. I set it up got all the specs measured everything out and it all is correct. I drive it and its got a horrible whine to it and a "popping" sound on decel.

I decide to try it again. The exact same thing...specs are as follows: backlash is .011, its takes 7 in/lbs for the pinion gear and I checked contact and it looked fine. Same thing, whine and popping. Well this weekend I am trying it one more time. A couple questions....anyone ANYWHERE know where I can get gear marking compound??????? I am out and grease doesnt work all that well.

Any suggestions on what could be the problem?????? I reused the old ring and pinion....no damage to it from the explosion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got gear marking paste from my local speed shop. You can probably do the same at your local speed shop.

I had no luck with Traction Loks from Ford. I handgrenaded one in about a thousand miles on a mild street car. Ended up having to use a Detroit Locker. Not that a Locker is that great for a daily driver but you gotta do what you gotta do. I never reuse gears personally but I can see where people wouldn't want to chuck 'em.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ModMan said:
I reused the old ring and pinion....no damage to it from the explosion.
You sure about there being no damage? If the explosion put a hole in the cover, it must have put some forces on the gear.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: Re: differential tech(kinda long)

Voodoo96743 said:
You sure about there being no damage? If the explosion put a hole in the cover, it must have put some forces on the gear.
I agree, gear could be slightly out of round, and u cant see it with the naked eye.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all good points...which is why I am going to check runout tonight. I should have said no damage to the naked eye. Thank you...we will see on saturday when I try this one more time. If it doesnt work I'll take and buy a honda!!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts