Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post my experience with a goodyear 74 belt install with the 2.93 L pulley.

I couldnt get the belt over the lip on the blower pulley with the tensioner pulled to the stop.

What I ended up doing was loosening the bolt on the idler pulley just below and slightly left of the blower pulley. The idler pulley has a bearing that rides on a shaft. When you get the bolt backed out about half way the bearing inside of the tensioner comes off of the shaft allowing extra belt room. With the bolt still about half way in the idler pulley stays in its general location. Now when you put the belt on pulling the tensioner back to the stop will allow the belt to go over the lip and seat on the blower pulley. Then while still holding the tensioner at the stop work the idler pulley back on to the bearing shaft. Don't forget to tighten the bolt for the idler pulley.

Just thought I would post this to try and help anyone doing the install in the future.

Thanks to the guys on here who corrected me that the L pulley is a 2.93 not a 3.10 and that I needed a 74 belt not a 74.5 . The 74 belt puts the tensioner indicater right at the beginning of the wear indicator.

G

·
As you face the engine....put the belt around all the areas including the blower pulley too...excluding the one Idler pulley to the lower right of the blower(as you face the front of the car, looking at the engine) With the ratchet wrench in the tensioner...as you push down to loosen the tension...just slip the belt right on that Idler Pulley....easy as that. You will be amazed how easy it goes on then.

also...Happy Birthday TRMN8R , as of yesterday...I put a post in the Mod forum "The Bar" area yesterday for you....but as I see...the 03 guys only come to this forum and thats it...besides the chat room. Come on guys...get around the site alittle more man..there is more to life than just 2003 Cobras...hmmm...well ok...maybe not :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hot Rod Harry,
Man are you on the ball.

THANKS!

Sooner or later I should grow up on one of these b-days.........naaaah.:D :D

I tried that but didn't spend much time on it....my patience had already started to run out by that point. Decided to loosen the idler.

Try Harrys' way first.....if not loosen the idler.

G

·
Your welcome there old man ;)

I originally posted my reply not reading your whole post ,thinking it was asking for the best way to get the belt on. Then after I wrote my post I went back and read your post again....ahhhh....he wasnt asking..he was stating a way that he did it....but then I decided not to delete my post seeing our methods were different....so now people have 2 ways to try and get that DAMN BELT ON!!! :D

hope your B Day was a good one....

Hot Rod(39 Years going on 18)Harry :cool:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Harry.........don't you have like six kids???

How in the world with all the time you spend on buying, selling, modding, rippin',enjoying and everything else you do with cars, plus all the posts you do on here, find time to make six kids???:)

I really don't want to know the answer but the thought crossed my mind so I thought I would post it.:D :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately for me, this information comes about 12 hours too late for me. I put the belt on last night and don't even want to admit how I did it. But I will say....it required a young preist and an old preist.

Thanks for the info should make my next install easier.

G

·
Drink heavily ;)

4 kids with with my ex ...they are older

2 kids are mine and tara's....they are almost 5 and 2. They keep me busy.....but I am a pro at this time...after raising all the kids in that younger age group....its really cake right now. My wife is an RN nurse too and works nights..so when I get home...the gang is mine to tend every night too. Its a blast!

I have all the kids for the summer and its actually easier because they help out so much with the younger ones. Enough of that boring family stuff....

Rock on Terminators!!!

trmn8r said:
Harry.........don't you have like six kids???

How in the world with all the time you spend on buying, selling, modding, rippin',enjoying and everything else you do with cars, plus all the posts you do on here, find time to make six kids???:)

I really don't want to know the answer but the thought crossed my mind so I thought I would post it.:D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts