Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to install an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster when replacing my clutch with an aftermarket unit. Ive been told yes by a friend but I just wanna make sure.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Do I have to install an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster when replacing my clutch with an aftermarket unit. Ive been told yes by a friend but I just wanna make sure.
I want to say it might depend on the clutch you are installing. I got an after market clutch in mine and i didnt have to have new quadrant. If you are running a stock quadrant then its self adjusting and there is not firewall adjuster. Stock quadrants are cheap plastic units and can brake and bend if under stress. You are way better to replace your with an aftermarket metal unit. And while u are at it get a new adjustable cable and the whole 9 yards. They are cheap and worth it. I got mine from Steeda, and the whole kit was like 100$.

·
Just another old guy
2,284 Posts
The best cable out there is the stock Ford cable. The adjustable ones are mostly junk according to MM.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The stock quadrant I've heard doesn't hold up well with heavier clutches. Can't cite specific examples but I've heard of them breaking in extreme cases. They're just plastic. The clutch action will be better with an aftermarket quadrant and adjusting its release point is nice.

I've broken several aftermarket cables that were mismatched to the firewall adjuster (cough cough BBK kit!!!) and it literally made my car dead in the water at the stoplight of a busy intersection once. I was not a happy camper. Literally had to push it from the left turn lane, across the intersection, and into a parking lot. Fortunately I was in front of a Sears and I knew a couple guys who worked there, who were quick to recognize the car (and the angry guy visibly engraged after looking under the hood)

My UPR HD cable actually sits in the adjuster right and hasn't given me one ounce of trouble, but the OEM cable still had better action and a faster release. I tried running the brand new ford cable I have in my BBK quadrant but the cable is too short, won't work. A triple hook quadrant, firewall adjuster, and stock cable IMO is the way to go. Or the MM quadrant and adjuster specifically designed to use a Ford cable.

MM absolutely does not jack around. Period. If they're doing something a certain way, including not making a part because the stock one is better, they have a damn good reason for doing it. I plan on ordering that kit this spring after my engine problem gets dealt with. And a bumpsteer kit. Damn do I need one of those.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I am starting to like MM more and more. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts