Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a limited budget and just have enough money to get pistons and rods and have them balanced to my stock crank. The block only as about 68,000 miles on it. Must I have it bored or can I just simply hone the cylinders real good?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depends on the condition of the block, it might need to be bored depending on the condition so you will find out when you pull the piston pulled out

·
Registered
300 Posts
DanTheCobraMan said:
I'm on a limited budget and just have enough money to get pistons and rods and have them balanced to my stock crank. The block only as about 68,000 miles on it. Must I have it bored or can I just simply hone the cylinders real good?

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you want the piston to wall clearance correct and noise free operation of your new pistons. The answer is yes you need to bore and hone with torque plates. when you buy aftermarket pistons the clearance is built into them and if you order a standard bore piston you are stuck with whatever piston to wall clearance you already have unless the aftermarket piston is slightly larger than stock, which they are usually smaller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts