Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, how much of a difference do mufflers really make? I mean by comparison; ie... flowmasters vs flowpath vs magnapack etc... Does one brand really do more for you than the other? What brand makes the highest power, but sounds good at the same time?

·
Registered
482 Posts
It depends greatly upon your combination. One against the other NA? Negligible.... On a turbo? Makes all the difference in the world. Several people have documented a Flowmaster style muffler will lose at least 35rwhp when compared to a Dynomax/Magnaflow style system. I personally saw a loss of boost on the dyno with a stock cat back - replaced it with a Magnaflow? Boost held strong.

The 'popular' brand out there now is Magnaflow.....decent quality, stainless, polished mufflers, and a good sound.....and if you want louder you can get the MagnaPacks....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered the Magnaflow catbacks today :blob Wolnt be able to tell how much differrence its all gonna make cause the car is being re-tuned with the 24#'s, the Pro-M, Headwork with comp cams, autologic chip (Diablo previously), and the magnaflow catback. Lookin forward to gettin it back in about 2 weeks :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
with an n/a car i don't think it makes enough to tell a differance because i use to have flowmaster 40 series and cut them off and now run nothing and it feels the same to me. actually ran my best time with no mufflers at all and was 2mph faster. but my car is really close to stock so mabey with more mods it would make a differance but i couldn't tell ya.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I replaced my stock mufflers with spintech mufflers and kept the stock piping. I noticed a slight increase in power on my stock stang... maybe 2 or 3 rwhp, but I wasn't really looking for power. I just wanted sound, and the spintechs sound GOOOOOOOOOD :) I'm going to eventually get an audio clip if you're interested.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of the more experienced guys on this forum swear by cat back systems, and right now they say the Magnaflows are the hottest ones out. I have to tone down the sound in mine. The flowmasters with the mac prochamber are very loud for my taste. Also, it's been said by experienced members on this forum that flowmasters can rob power. I figured while I was spending the $ to do the heads and cams, might as well do it all right at once.

·
Registered
90 Posts
http://66.12.66.86:8080/exhaust.mpg

This is a really really crappy recording but I'll throw it on anyway... the reason why it resonates a lot is because the tail pipes are pointed into my garage. I'll post once I can get a better recording.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I went from the stock cat-back (already had a o/r X-pipe on the car) to Borla mufflers with dumps. I picked up a solid 2 mph in the 1/4. Was only traping ~100 before, and after just the mufflers went to ~102.

·
Registered
185 Posts
yeah mufflers make a difference in power, but like someone said before it helps even more when your car is modded. best mufflers in my opinions are the new Super 40s by flowmasters. But for a catback i would do magnaflow magnapacks or bassani! :shocked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts