Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if you guys (and gals) do all the mods yourselves? If you do some, what extent before you take it to the shop?

I have done all the mods on my own because I can't afford to pay someone else. Plus I love to learn new stuff. The one thing I would be scared to tackle on my own is a forged rebuild and putting together the short block.
:blob
Darren

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I do probably 75% or so of all my own stuff. I have yet to do the shortblock or install/time the cams. I have however done everything else except setting up the ring and pinion. And believe me, when you have torn it all apart as many times as I have.....you get pretty quick with it :)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Worst thing i did was buy some tools.. I take shit apart then need to tow it where someone knows how to get it back together..

jim v.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do most of the work myself. The only time I have someone else do the labor is if my work schedule doesn't allow me time to work on the car in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do as much as I possibly can because I don't trust any shops out there. Only things I can't really do are tranny rebuilds, bottom end rebuilts and gear installs.

Bill

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are rear end and gear installs basically the same for Chevys and Fords? Once I get the money, I plan on doing the rear end w/ an Eaton, 31spline, 4:30s, etc. The friend that is going to teach/help me is a retired Chevy front end and heavy line tech. Should he know what to do or am I asking for trouble.:confused:

Jim Vaccaro said:
Worst thing i did was buy some tools.. I take shit apart then need to tow it where someone knows how to get it back together..

jim v.
:lol :lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have built everything from the motor to gutting ,cutting,fabing,and just plain tearing up a good mustang.:D I shoulda left the tools in the tool box.I had a really nice street car I use to could drive.Now it collects dust and burns up my retirement.:rolleyes:

Tim

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm retired, and can do a little. But I just don't have the time, and I guess, inclination to do it myself. I just like to drive my Cobra some. It takes about all the time I have just to keep it looking good.

I much prefer to get up and do my bycycle ride, then drop the car off at Lamotta's for whatever work is needed, and just keep going on to the beach for some surf fishing, and pick it up on the way home. There are only so many hours in the day you know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I learned many years ago, to let somebody that knows what they are doing handle the wrenches. There are two things that you don't put in my hands unless you want something broken: Wrenches and hammers.

·
Registered
438 Posts
snakecharmer said:
I learned many years ago, to let somebody that knows what they are doing handle the wrenches. There are two things that you don't put in my hands unless you want something broken: Wrenches and hammers.
Eric, that may be true........however.....you are like the good hands guy from Allstate when it comes to being the designated driver..........:D

Ben

·
Registered
14 Posts
I pick up the phone and make an appointment with my mechanic. I am very good at ordering parts though.

Seriously, I've done some things but nothing to the extent of some other members. I'm very envious. I wish I had the talent and knowledge and guts to try some of mods on my own that are more extensive.

I also killed a squirrel with a stick once.
hahaha

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is more pride into wrenching your own car vice having someone else to do it. Whether it be someone giving you a hand or helping you out, it all pays off.

I love wrenching on my car (most of the time) and hate it when you dont' have the right tool... :mad:

G

·
I do about 90 percent of the work on my 03 Cobra. I have Nitrous Pete do the Diablo sport tuning(I put the chips in and out) He installed my Nitrous System and my headers. I dont like other people working on my car or driving my car. So that shows how much I trust Pete.

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did untill recently. I'm having my 2000 Lightning (Suavy) rebuilt and am beefing up the lower end and adding a monster box.

Suavy:shocked

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Suavy said:
I did untill recently. I'm having my 2000 Lightning (Suavy) rebuilt and am beefing up the lower end and adding a monster box.

Suavy:shocked
What's a monster box? I'm assuming some sort of blower?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I rebuilt my longblock myself minus the machine work. Still running I did not think it was that hard I am going to tear it back down next year so I can forge it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bad,

I tip my hat to you. You have more guts than I. I'd love to try it but the lack of detail knowledge and my own doubting mind would get the better of me. I'm sure I'd be loading it on a trailer to haul it to a mechanic to clean up my mess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
well...

...I do most of the light stuff...I let Scott @Wolfs Performance to my gears & tranny work...I've done most of the tuning, chassis set-up, fabracation, regular mantaince, electral and detailing...
I dont have a garage so what I do has to go along wth the weather:(

Randy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts